It is about that time for some heat

PXL_20221108_002743414.jpg

It was 78° 🌡️today 😭
High of 46° next week 😒

hmmmmm......
Thursday last week, floodwaters washed out a gas main 70km East, cutting off gas supplyto my town, and about 20,000 houses...Anticipated 4 week recovery, so no gas heat (it snowed last tuesday...in November for crying out loud), no hot water.
6 months ago, I put in a small wood heater at the back of the house because it's nice, on a slab extension, and I didn't trust the grid...so move activities to the back loungeroom...and Wim Hof for the showers (wife is VERY unhappy).

It’s about 10 F outside today. I’m on propane and have a fire in the wood stove. I have a sun room that gets a bit chilly when it’s cloudy out. To warm it up I run a ceramic heater. I find using straight electric heat is about the same price as propane, so I don't worry about it. ( cheap electricity and expensive propane). It’s currently too cold to run my 10 year old heat pump. 🥶

Fired up the airtight wood burning stove today. The temp today is 20F and the stove, which is situated in the basement has no problem keeping the propane fired boiler/furnace off. With the furnace circulation fan on, the temp coming out of the duct is 81 F bringing warm air from the basement and circulating it.

View attachment 125049View attachment 125078
I have the same wood stove and we've been having the odd fire here and there for a month now when the day temperature doesn't get up above 12 or 13C. We have a concrete floor so indoor temps don't swing to fast.

We've had our heat on and off since this thread started. Had one oil filled electric radiator and just bought another for the other end, so far the central gas heater hasn't ran even down in the 20's. Want to use the gas as little as possible just to see the price difference, I did fix two gas leaks also so I'm sure it'll be lower. Not too worried about turning on heat or ac.. if the wife or I is hot or cold that's what it's there for. The children though.. tough put on a layer and go away..

Threw in the towel yesterday when I got home and turned the heat on. Still running the stove just to keep the load off the furnace.

Back