It is about that time for some heat

Ours has been on and off for the past few weeks. It's dipped down to freezing a few times.

We're running an oil furnace so just burning lots of money!

I think we broke a record here in SC this year. Been turning the heat on and off since around the first week of Oct. Weird.
Gas Heat main level
Heat Pump second level
Since heat rises it is a VERY rare occasion the heat pump comes on. Maybe a handful of times in Jan. Just when we need the house to warm up fast coming off night mode after those rare nights where it may get to the low 20s or upper teens here in SC as my wife and I have a second floor office. BR on main.

Daytime setting is 70, evening 72, night 60

Around here the days are in the 60's and nights in the 40's. It runs it in the morning to take the chill out of the air. If sunny out the heat won't run the rest of the day set at 68°. It doesn't run overnight till about 3 or 4 in the morning.

Lit the pilot lite two days ago on my natural gas in a 42 year old GE hvac system. Not the most efficient, but works flawlessly (knock on wood).
FYI, Trane purchased GE's HVAC business in 1982. When it comes time to replace your system, if you stick with a lower efficiency Trane or American Standard (same company) HVAC system you will still get a quality system that lasts. The lower efficiency systems are much simpler and consequently more reliable.

(Oil) Heat is on at 66F since Oct8. My 16 year old daughter wears summer sleep wear and whines about being cold .

We have a Jøtul wood stove that gives 16 year old room along with family room, office and kitchen a 75-80F room temp if you keep up with it.

Oil heat is expensive this year , I fixed it at $4.29/gallon and burn 800 per year for heat and hot water. The people at market rates just had a jump to $5.50 😜.

Normally oil heat has ranged $2-$4/gallon.

FYI, Trane purchased GE's HVAC business in 1982. When it comes time to replace your system, if you stick with a lower efficiency Trane or American Standard (same company) HVAC system you will still get a quality system that lasts. The lower efficiency systems are much simpler and consequently more reliable.
That is awesome information. Thank you.

Been down in the 20's here a few times, so the heat was on earlier than normal. I usually push until November, but since my bride is working from home, I didn't want to make her suffer. This last 5 days or so has been lows in the 30's and high's in the 40's-50's...so it has been on. Supposed to be 60's this weekend!

Everyone I know who has a HE furnace has nothing but problems! If the wind blows in the wrong direction, they won't work. That is bad when you live in a windy area

Napkin math
6.29 + .63 tax = 6.92
Pellets 8,000 btus per lb x40lbs = 320k btu's
Therm of nat gas 100k btu's = 12.5 lbs of pellets
40 lb bag 17.3 cents a lb
$2.16 a therm
What your cost with all the taxes on a therm of gas? In saint louis Spire with all the taxes .73¢ didn't include deliver charge used only 5 therms

Everyone I know who has a HE furnace has nothing but problems! If the wind blows in the wrong direction, they won't work. That is bad when you live in a windy area
Everyone here has an HE furnace, it would be stupid not to given the low temps. I can't speak from an HVAC tech's perspective but if you buy quality and maintain it they seem to be just fine. The original one in my home lasted 25 years and I replaced it mostly pre-emptively knowing it was getting up there...it still worked. To the wind comment...I live in what feels like the windiest place on planet earth and I can tell you it has never had a negative effect on the furnace.

Wind causing an HE furnace to stop working sounds like an installation problem to me, the solution to which is probably located on some page in the manual the installer didn't bother to read.

Wind causing an HE furnace to stop working sounds like an installation problem to me, the solution to which is probably located on some page in the manual the installer didn't bother to read.
Yep, I wonder if they just straight pipe the PVC right out without any elbows, etc.

Brand new lennox he gas system here. So much quieter than the 20 year old American standard system it replaced. Wife wants it set to 74. I draw the line at 73 which is still pretty warm.

I haven’t turned the heat on yet, but when it’s cold I do run the wood stove a little in the AM and PM if needed.

With the new hybrid/ heat pump water heater and minimal AC, October’s power bill will be interesting.

We’ve had high winds and temps just above freezing all night long. My computerized thermostat instructed the fan on the furnace to run at high speed the get the heat pump’s output distributed.

Heat has been off and on for about a month. Temps swinging wide. I use geothermal heat pump. Turned the heat on in the garage last night for the first time.

Back