It is about that time for some heat

Haven't turned the heat on yet here in WNY. House has stayed above 64 as of late. Until last night... Came home, house was 60 - threw a 40lb bag of pellets in and fired up the old pellet stove. But I'll still call that as a win, as the Honeywell thermostat's switch for the Goodman furnace still hasn't been moved to HEAT since taking it off COOL weeks ago.

Need to change out a couple of rope gaskets in the stove soon, and give it a good cleaning. That dry hot heat felt good. Also, need to hook the old car-hauler up to the Tahoe and bring home a couple ton of pellets for the season.

In previous years, I could get a
I also like that in the event of a power outage/emergency, the low electrical demands of it, on the gas-sipping Honda EU2200i -- with a decent stockpile of regular unleaded, I can keep this house heated well. Might still rig up an emergency cord to put the furnace on the little Honda if ever needed.

Who put their heat on? What do you use?

Haven't turned the heat on yet here in WNY. House has stayed above 64 as of late. Until last night... Came home, house was 60 - threw a 40lb bag of pellets in and fired up the old pellet stove. But I'll still call that as a win, as the Honeywell thermostat's switch for the Goodman furnace still hasn't been moved to HEAT since taking it off COOL weeks ago.

Need to change out a couple of rope gaskets in the stove soon, and give it a good cleaning. That dry hot heat felt good. Also, need to hook the old car-hauler up to the Tahoe and bring home a couple ton of pellets for the season.

In previous years, I could get a
I also like that in the event of a power outage/emergency, the low electrical demands of it, on the gas-sipping Honda EU2200i -- with a decent stockpile of regular unleaded, I can keep this house heated well. Might still rig up an emergency cord to put the furnace on the little Honda if ever needed.

Who put their heat on? What do you use?
No heat yet.....Nat gas when its time.

Before you depend on that honda to run your furnace - test it.
Based on my experience with 2K's and furnaces - there is at least a 50% chance it wont run without a grounding plug.

Had to turn heat on last weekend. Natural gas is most popular here in the midwest. There is a coal fired Ameren plant 3 miles from me by way the crow flies. It is scheduled to go offline in about 2 years. Heard that it's capacity will be replaced with on-demand gas turbine plants located in different areas of the metro grid.

Last edited:
Lit the pilot lite two days ago on my natural gas in a 42 year old GE hvac system. Not the most efficient, but works flawlessly (knock on wood).

I tried to make it to Oct. but had to cave on 9/26 as we had a cold snap. We're warm blooded. Keep the house at 70 while we're there. Let it drop to 66 when we're out of the house and at night.

How much are pellets in your neck of the woods? I’ve seen them around here for well over $6 a bag or $300+ for a pallet of 50 bags.

Ran the a/c Sunday afternoon and the NG furnace Monday morning. Furnace is humming as I type this.

311865480_5454387014611196_282650154954164174_n.jpg

How much are pellets in your neck of the woods? I’ve seen them around here for well over $6 a bag or $300+ for a pallet of 50 bags.
Yeah same here, about $6.29 per bag. Man did this go up since two years ago.

Looking at the next 10 day weather forecast it looks like I have to start using NG central next Saturday.
Daytime temperatures are dropping from mid 80° to 50° & 60° and some nights will already be below freezing.

Last edited:
My wife will probably brake my head open if a lower the thermostat lower 70 during the night!
Ha, we keep two additional blankets on the bed to layer up. I'd never be walking around comfortable at 66*, but when you're under some blankets it's not too bad.

We usually try to wait until November or as long as we can in October but this year the heat was on Oct. 3rd. Thermostat says 67 and I'm cold and going to put on another layer.

Back