It Doesn't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help me out here, Winston. We've seen PC with ST's anyway
dunno.gif
That should tell you what the upper end is on filtration ..I would think. I dunno about Frams ..I believe you had a PC done. What doesn't that tell you? Otherwise you're looking at beta ratios.

In the referenced SAE tests in the link there ..they added a amount of particles in a very short time. More, IIRC, then our filters normally have capacity to hold (they were testing diesels ..at least for part of the test
dunno.gif
).

Sure, lower is better. I don't think anyone will argue that ..but at what ROI? You're looking, according to one poster, a nomial 6um filter ..with a 95% at 20something for about $12 from Baldwin. That's better then Wix's bypass offerings
dunno.gif

Even PC with bypass filtration yields a decent 2um particle count. It's lower then with just a ff, surely ..but it's still there.

I'm using the $2 Supertech filters and before that I used Frams.

Never had a engine problem in decades of engines that we drove to hundreds of thousands of miles.

My last UOA had very low wear metals and insoulbles was .2 which is very good.

I doubt a $10 filter is going to do a thing more than the $2 filter for me.
spaz.gif

True, the $8 cost is nothing to how much gas I use, but why spend $8 more (thats over 100 miles of gas for me)
dunno.gif

I'll contiune to go with lower cost filters.
tongue.gif

Thats what has worked for me.. Engines lasting a long time without any problems is a fact.

Printed marketing on a box is that, Marketing..
grin.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Sure, lower is better. I don't think anyone will argue that

Well, actually, the Critic did say that there is no benefit to filtering below a certain amount.
Gary, my point is that lower is better. Thus, I am willing to pay a reasonable amount to ensure I get fewer particles. However, I don't know how low is required for an engine to go X miles. Nor does anyone else here.

The original premise of this thread is that more expensive filters are a waste of money. Anecdotal evidence stating that they used X filter with no problems is not the absolute word. The studies I quoted showed that fewer particles reduces wear. OTOH, I don't know if that means the engine will show effects from wear at 50k or 500k miles. Nor does anyone else.

My main point is that there are reasons to spend money on a better filter than an ST, and no one really knows if it is wasted money or not.

Also, particle counts on a couple UOA's are not the definitive word either.

Someone on another thread,which I cannot find
pat.gif
, said something about dirt and other contaminants being suspended in the oil and causeing extra wear.

Now to me if someone is spending $6 a quart on some top notch synthetic oil, and running it 10k miles there would be a fair amount of dirt/contaminants in it. So spending $5.50 on an oil filter that can capture more/smaller particles only makes sense. Why spend so much on high quality oil, only to use some cheap *** filter?

But thats just me.

Gesh, if we all had this attitude that cheaper will suffice, then why are we even on this board? You may have learned a few things but you sure aren't practicing it. What gives? You can't sit here and tell me that particle size doesn't matter, akin to a woman telling you that size doesn't matter....yeah, right. I know, for those of you who believe that oil is oil, why don't you go out and put some refined oil in your engine. You know what...it's CHEAPER TOO!!!!! Hey, while you at it, reverse flush your oil filter and re-use it too! You could save gobs of money on that!!!!! You know it doesn't matter if the filter goes into by-pass or whatever. For those of us who want or absolutely need to get over 100K miles out of their engines because we just simply can't afford to buy a new one, then those things are important. All it takes is one bearing failure because some dirt got between the crankshaft and rods which the filter didn't catch and poof!, there goes between 2 to 8K dollars. Just because it hasn't happen, doesn't mean it won't happen. Do you want to be sitting there when it does happen and then say to yourself why? why? WHY?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back