.iso files automatically mounting as a DVD drive

Windows 10 64 bit, I'm having this weird issue where any time I download an .iso file, it automatically appears in Windows Explorer as a disc drive. I can't do anything with the file or delete it until I "eject" it.

It never did this until recently and it's super annoying, does anyone know how I could disable this "feature" ?

Thanks!

That is not normal operation.. did you install any programs or make any changes?(obviously something happened)

Right click the iso file and goto open with
what programs show as options?
ss1.JPG

That is not normal operation.. did you install any programs or make any changes?(obviously something happened)
Nothing has changed unless windows update did something. I'm the only one who uses my computer.

I can't reproduce this, but I would first try typing autoplay into your search bar and see if it appears in "autoplay defaults". If not click "default app settings" on the right hand side and check by file type. ISO dosen't appear on my list.

Okay, I reread your post, since its only when downloading it might be a browser setting. Notice "Always open files of this type"

1641157708494.png

Last edited:
Windows 10 default behavior as long as I can remember is to mount an .ISO disk image as a DVD-Drive. Are you double-clicking and opening the .ISO file that way? Or is it automatically opening in Windows Explorer as soon as you download it?

If the latter, clear your browser, uninstall it if you have to, but zero out all the settings completely. Install a new browser if it helps with troubleshooting. It sounds to me that your browser is automatically opening the file (instead of giving you the option to save to disk), and then Windows Explorer is immediately handling it in the usual manner, which is to mount to a separate drive letter / CD/DVD drive.

You can change the default file associates as some have posted above, so that when the ISO file is double clicked on or opened by default in your browser, it is handled by a different program other than Windows Explorer.

I figured out the issue and it's actually really stupid lol.

The left click button on my mouse is bad and registers a single click as a double click.

So when I would single-click on the iso file it would actually register as a double click and open it while also mounting it as a DVD drive

Back