Is this typical? A woman driver story (my wife)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Get angry much? Lol....dishing it out is pretty easy for you, but when you are on the other end you seem to lose it. Thanks for the fairy-tale biography of my life. I found it very amusing and telling of the author. And speaking of females...? I, for one, am not as tolerant as you when it comes to the destruction of my vehicles...and I also don't make excuses for the female gender as a reason to put up with it. But hey....if that's what you see as a good relationship, then so be it. Many fellas will put up with a lot of stress and come to believe that is what makes a relationship. Have fun with that. Oh...just for your info, in the past thirty years I've not had a single female that I was in a relationship with destroy, abuse, or otherwise wreck ANY of my vehicles. Perhaps because they've all been intelligent and coordinated women.
Have a good day sir.

It is interesting that he seems to feel that all women are like his wife.

Women come in many flavors! They are the farthest thing from similar.

ha, it is really funny to hear folks say that just because you didn't get a ticket you are 'without fault' in the accident! Some of us need to get more in touch with our center, eh?

My first wife could wear out a set of brakes in 15k miles. She wrecked cars and raised [censored] on the roads, causing me great distress. I later found out that this is a primary indicator of unhappiness for many and that these types do not stay married long. CORRECT!

Wife #2 is cool as can be, and completely different from wife #1, so different I was very uncomfortable dating her. But as usual you need to go far outside your comfort zone to find the good things. She can also DRIVE, what a find in a woman. Her Dad actually imparted real wisdom and she listened!

Some are better than others!

My ex-wife drives with one hand on the wheel and the other on her iPhone. Guess where her eyes are usually pointed.

In 2010 (while we were still 'happily' married) we bought her a brand new Corolla. 9 months/10,000 miles later it was totalled (her fault - failure to yield). So we bought her another 2010 Corolla (slightly used, 12,000 miles). A year later she bumped it into a trailer hitch in a parking lot, which made a nice hole/dent in the front bumper. Guess who learned how to use Bondo and touch up paint (yours truly).

Two wrecks in 21 months - not that bad you say? Maybe not if it weren't for the 4 speeding tickets she got in that same time frame.

At times I was scared to ride in the car with her - and not just for my safety or hers - she would tailgate so severely (motorcycles sometimes) that we would get yelled at/cursed at to back the f**k off. Once a large grizzly looking gentleman on a RoadKing with his lady friend was mad enough to kick the side of that car while stopped at a red light, after we rode his a** for more than a mile. The yelling, screaming, waving us off wasn't enough for her. My pleading wasn't enough. No, it took a kick to the driver's side of the car. Luckily it didn't leave a dent (he should have kicked harder).

Thank goodness for divorce ; )

Some of you have great women in your lives, others have big headaches.

I'm quite happy with mine, and she just agreed this past Saturday to upgrade from gf status to Fiance status, so I know I'm doing something right.

Anyway, she's had 2 dents and 1 scrape on the 4 cars she's owned over the past 12 years.
The Chrysler Crossfire was completely unharmed during it's 3 years of ownership.

The PT Cruiser, which she bought new in '01, has a scrape on it from when she misjudged a turn in her work parking lot next to her co-worker's Ford F250 pickup. You would think her whole world just ended with her reaction to a small scrape. F250 owner never asked her to fix the paint that transferred onto the plastic bumper cover piece, and it did clean right off. She gets emotional every time she looks at the scratch on her car.

The '12 Fiat 500 Sport got a dent on the passenger side just behind the door when her 19 year old daughter opened the rear door of the PT Cruiser into it, with way too much enthusiasm. That was the day we were all driving to the airport to go to her Dad's place for Thanksgiving 2 years back. She was upset, to say the least. Good thing we traded it in for the Abarth, otherwise I would still hear about it, every day.

The '12 Fiat Abarth just got it's first dent yesterday, while it was parked in our garage.
Something fell off the wall, and put a tiny nail head size dent in the driver's rear wheel well lip. When i came home, and opened the garage door, I saw stuff that was supposed to be on the wall, laying on the floor all around her car. I then had to go in and tell her that stuff fell, and dented her car. She practically went into thermonuclear meltdown. I got an earful about having anything hanging on the walls in and around her cars, even though they have been hanging there for 5 years, but I'm to blame.

So, I have the exact opposite problem as Overkill does.

I won't go into the motorcycle experiences.
Nope, I just won't do that.
She really, really, really loves her Ducati's is all I will say.
Please don't touch them.

BC.

My wife has never hit anything.
She's a very good driver and a parker (is that a word?), and a parallel parker as well.

BUT she never attempts the acrobatics that I attempt to avoid rough patches or pot holes on the road. Hence whatever she drives experiences a bit of a 'rough' ride. that's changing now that she has a brand new car though
smile.gif

So, based on all that ans some other female drivers I know, I don't think what OP's wife does is typical...she needs to be more careful.

My wife paid $2,000 for her car 7 years ago. It's washed maybe once every 6 months (or left out in the rain... same thing) and I'm sure the same junk has been in the trunk for most of those 7 years. If it's wrecked tomorrow, I'll be annoyed at having to buy another one, but she's gotten her $2,000 worth of use out of it. We'd probably buy another $2,000 beater and move on.

We're both quite careful with our motorcycles, though. Kind of have to be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kb01
Aren't women typically charged lower auto insurance rates than men? That seems to imply women have fewer accidents than men.

I never understood this. Not what I see. The most dangerous drivers I see are teenage girls and the middle aged soccer mom types in their SUV's w/ cell phones.

Maybe women set the rates.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Get angry much? Lol....dishing it out is pretty easy for you, but when you are on the other end you seem to lose it. Thanks for the fairy-tale biography of my life. I found it very amusing and telling of the author. And speaking of females...? I, for one, am not as tolerant as you when it comes to the destruction of my vehicles...and I also don't make excuses for the female gender as a reason to put up with it. But hey....if that's what you see as a good relationship, then so be it. Many fellas will put up with a lot of stress and come to believe that is what makes a relationship. Have fun with that. Oh...just for your info, in the past thirty years I've not had a single female that I was in a relationship with destroy, abuse, or otherwise wreck ANY of my vehicles. Perhaps because they've all been intelligent and coordinated women.
Have a good day sir.

It is interesting that he seems to feel that all women are like his wife.

Did you notice that? It's incredible what some guys will put up with. I think you could call it being an 'enabler' as well.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Aren't women typically charged lower auto insurance rates than men? That seems to imply women have fewer accidents than men.

I never understood this. Not what I see. The most dangerous drivers I see are teenage girls and the middle aged soccer mom types in their SUV's w/ cell phones.

grin.gif

The real cause is because women tend to get into more accidents, of smaller dollar value.
Men, when they have accidents, tend to have much more in damages done.

BC.

I think I can chalk up my lady as a "good one."

She got started with driving later in life than most, so she's only been driving for about a year now. She's expressed interest in having me ride along so I can give her pointers on how to be a better/safer driver, which is great.

Given that I've spent my fair share of time doing track days and autocrossing I'm selectively aggressive. I enjoy stringing together corners and using every bit of my car's acceleration when I can and she enjoys riding along (she's described it as "relaxing"). She's even looking forward to riding along with me when I start doing track events again.

I'm thankful for her. I can't imagine being married to someone who can't even understand that vehicles are very expensive and need to be cared for at least at a basic level.

My sister is the same way, she trashes every vehicle she has ever owned.

Dents them up, and never cleans them.

I do not think it is so much a male/female issue as a carperson/not-carperson issue.

I know plenty of men who would not know a drain pan if it fell on their foot.
smirk.gif

Just because someone is not great at car stuff does not necessarily mean they are careless or disrespectful though.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I do not think it is so much a male/female issue as a carperson/not-carperson issue.

I know plenty of men who would not know a drain pan if it fell on their foot.
smirk.gif

Just because someone is not great at car stuff does not necessarily mean they are careless or disrespectful though.

This.

My wife is an aggressive driver but a good driver. Compared to my driving style she makes me nervous. I'm a conservative driver but aggressive when I need to be. She's good about avoiding curbs, as she tells me. I know my car.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

grin.gif

The real cause is because women tend to get into more accidents, of smaller dollar value.
Men, when they have accidents, tend to have much more in damages done.

BC.

There's more to it than that, even. Men drive 40-50% more than women (more miles, more time behind the wheel, however you want to look at it) which also increases the number of annual accidents.

Lots of men trash vehicles as well.

I just don't understand the mentality not to take reasonable care of a vehicle, consider that its an expensive piece of equipment.

Having been in real estate and having seen how a lot of people live, a lot of them are just lazy slobs.

My ex-wife sounds like yours. We bought her a new 1998 Grand Prix GT and she had many "incidents" with that car over the years and the inside was always trashed. I'm anal about my vehicles and it used to make me sick on how she treated hers. I did the maintainence and repair stuff to it but that was about it. We divorced in 2004 and she kept that car until about 2009 and it was a real mess when she got rid of it.

I bought a 1998 Chevy ext-cab Z71 six months after we bought the Grand Prix and I still own this truck today. It still looks new inside and out and runs great too.

My current fiancee also doesn't really care about her vehicles and I'm always reminding her about maintainence stuff. She has a 2007 Mustang GT that she has owned a little over three years and the car only has about 16,000 miles on it. I can't get her to have the coolant changed in it since it's been in the car almost seven years. She does kind of care how it looks since it's her dream car.

I'm always on her about maintainence on her 2003 Ford Superduty with the 6.0 diesel that she bought new but it's a fight. This truck is also all scratched up but it is used on the farm.

I'm particular about my vehicles because I was taught to take care of things but also because a vehicle is probably the second most expensive thing we will buy behind our homes. I'm pretty picky about who gets to drive my vehicles and I don't typically do the share thing with a spouse or significant other.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Its just a car, nothing important.

and that is exactly how most women feel about them. Naturally she doesn't understand my attraction and hobby with them. For her first car, in 2006, she got a used 1998 Sable wagon. Probably the best thing I ever did and when the time comes she gets another used car. No need to waste a perfect brand new car here. So far the Sable is hanging in there since I am a mechanical perfectionist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back