Is this the strong brake cleaner?

I noticed this at the Home Depot today and bought one. Thought they were banned around here years ago. Does it really work better than the green can?

IMG_3553.JPG

Yes, the "red can" Brakleen by CRC is chlorinated while the "green can" is non-chlorinated. IMO, the chlorinated version is more effective in overall cleaning/degreasing ability than the more environmentally friendly green can version.

You might not be able to find the chlorinated version in D.C./NOVA, but it is readily available in Richmond, Hampton Roads, Charlottesville and other parts of VA that don't require vehicle emissions testing.

the "red can" Brakleen by CRC is chlorinated while the "green can" is non-chlorinated
I was going to say that yeap, the red can is the "stronger" stuff. I've been buying/using O'Reilly's store brand or SuperTech and for my uses, I can't say the non-chlorinated stuff works bad at all. It does the job for me.

I noticed this at the Home Depot today and bought one. Thought they were banned around here years ago. Does it really work better than the green can?

View attachment 140823
If it says chlorinated or lists chloroethene aka pce aka perc

View attachment 140823
If it lists tetrachloroethylene, aka PCE ,as an ingredient, its the chlorinated version and its much better than the green top. Old time industrial solvent degreaser and dry cleaner fluid. I use it on stains, too.LOL Readily available in Pa.

The absolute best brake cleaner that I've ever used in my life is the Ford Motorcraft stuff from the dealer. Literally night and day difference between any other brake cleaner, and I've tried more than a dozen brands just to see if there is something as good. There isn't.

A customer gave me a whole case of CRC red can brakleen.....It's awful in performance & smell compared to the flammable, non-chlorinated brake cleaner I buy.

zv6RD67.jpg

Back