Is this oil too old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I am picking up my 2005 Kawasaki KLR650 tomorrow and it only has 297 miles on it. That is obviously low for the year and I was wondering if you all thought it would be a good idea for me to change the oil when I get it instead of waiting until the manual recommended 800 miles since the oil is older. What do you all think? I have my Rotella 15w40 waiting in the garage with a K&N filter so I just want to make sure with the pros here if this is a good thing to do. Thank you.

Last edited:
Coffee,
Plus you are getting rid of break in material that will be in the oil too and any condesation in there. The 15w40 will work great unless you are riding in cold climates no need for a lighter oil I see you are in AZ I would run 15w40 year round.

I own an '06 KLR650 (lime/black). You'd be wise to change the oil. When you mentioned K&N filter, did you mean oil or air filter? If it's the oil filter, go for it. However, I wouldn't use anything but an oiled foam air filter on anything used in dusty conditions such as dirt roads etc.

Here's another tip. You don't have to change your oil filter with every oil change. I change my filter every second or third oil change and I change oil at 2000 - 2500 miles. I'm not the only KLR rider that does this. Never seen any difference in the condition of the filter nor performance issues. The bike never uses oil. Running Shell Rotella T dino too. If you want to learn more about your KLR, go to KLR650.com. Lots of seasoned veterans over there with more knowledge than you'll know what to do with.

klr10.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back