Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the suggestion of many on this board I replaced the conventional oil in my 1986 Porsche 930 with Mobil 1 0-50. I have owned this car for years and have always maintained it religiously. It has only 7,000 miles on it. In all the years I've owned the car, it has never dripped even a drop of oil.

Shortly after changing to Mobil 1, I started noticing drips and after a few months I had to put a pan under the car to avoid large puddles. Last week I changed back to conventional oil--Delvac 15-40--and the leakes have stopped completely.

I would like the protection of synthetic but not at the expense of a flood under my engine. Can synthetic really leak this much on an otherwise tight engine or is something else going on here.

After 18 years seals and gaskets get old. No way to avoid that.

Have you considered crawling under the car to see where it's leaking from?

Sounds like the 15w at cool temp (thicker) holds back the flow. Try going back
confused.gif
or a high mileage oil to swell seals - or check for loose bolts on the oil pan (my latest problem).
Cool barn, cool car (based on your other thread). Are you in central bucks county? Looks nearby to me in Buckingham (which is why I posted).
wink.gif

[ April 16, 2004, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: rg144 ]

quote:

Originally posted by reed:
I would like the protection of synthetic but not at the expense of a flood under my engine. Can synthetic really leak this much on an otherwise tight engine or is something else going on here.

Why would it need 'protection' if you drive it less than 500 miles a year? Is it a race car?

quote:

Originally posted by tec97:

quote:

Originally posted by reed:

Why would it need 'protection' if you drive it less than 500 miles a year? Is it a race car?

I'm lost myself? Synthetic cuz why?
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back