Is this a common problem with projector headlamps?

‘Defect’ Can Cause 2013-2018 Nissan Altima Headlights to Get Dimmer Over Time, Class Action Says

Link to story:

And here's a video that discusses the same problem.

The reflective surface inside can degrade over time which would render the headlamp pretty useless. It appears that manufacturers spare every expense and lay down some shiny aluminum just a few microns thick. And all the car-makers are buying parts from the same suppliers, so I don't think the problem is unique to just one company.

There doesn't appear to be an easy way to just change out the elliptical reflector inside the projector housings in most vehicles. You need to change out the entire assembly which is $$$$$.

There's not even an easy way to check the condition of the inside surface either.

Yikes that really sucks. Is that only on halogen projector styles, or applicable for HIDs too?

It can happen to reflector headlamps as well, but there it is usually easy to see the reflective surface through the lens.

All headlamps depend on a curved reflective surface to turn the light forward-- regardless of the type of bulb, even LED. If this reflector degrades it will still appear to light up, but it won't throw light ahead on the road like it is supposed to.

Well if you knew how Nissan treats their suppliers, not surprised. They come around every six months wanting the supplier to reduce their price. The supplier has to recoup R and D and make a small profit.

A similar problem happened to the Acura
When a vehicle is parked with the engine running and the low-beam headlights on for an extremely long period of time, the original headlight design may not allow sufficient heat to escape. Excessive heat buildup in the headlight assembly can cause deformation and melting of plastic components which could affect headlight operation and, eventually, result in a fire.

‘Defect’ Can Cause 2013-2018 Nissan Altima Headlights to Get Dimmer Over Time, Class Action Says

Link to story:

And here's a video that discusses the same problem.

The reflective surface inside can degrade over time which would render the headlamp pretty useless. It appears that manufacturers spare every expense and lay down some shiny aluminum just a few microns thick. And all the car-makers are buying parts from the same suppliers, so I don't think the problem is unique to just one company.

There doesn't appear to be an easy way to just change out the elliptical reflector inside the projector housings in most vehicles. You need to change out the entire assembly which is $$$$$.

There's not even an easy way to check the condition of the inside surface either.

As far as I know, Projectors don't use reflective surfaces.

As far as I know, Projectors don't use reflective surfaces.
The bowls are reflective. Halogen projector bowl on left, HID projector bowl on right, both from a Toyota Avensis.
F4B1035C-BC66-4926-951B-79703455019D.jpeg

What they do is mold the reflector, then run them through a vacuum chamber, explode a fine coat of aluminum, and cure it with the vacuum.

Iv'e seen this happen in those reflector housings too. The thin layer of sputtered aluminum starts to peel and fall like ceiling paint in a New York Brownstone. When it falls like a flap and covers over the bulb - that's when the fun begins.

It is a known issue with some aftermarket HID housings, and cheap HID bulbs can add to the issue.
OEM used to be a good way to get quality housings and bulbs, but seems not so much.
Sad thing is Infinity had a few vehicles with really good HID's that many used for some retrofit projects, but maybe got the shaft if this carries over from Nissan to Infinity (which would be very likely).

Give me bulbs . These are bright and white ( clear glass ) for better night vision . $20 for a pair . Bulb on right is BAD , it worked about 3 or 4 years . The other bulb ( left ) is good , keep if needed for replacement . Replaced with new pair few years ago . The bulbs are easy to install .

IMG_7911.JPG
IMG_7912.JPG

Give me bulbs . These are bright and white ( clear glass ) for better night vision . $20 for a pair . Bulb on right is BAD , it worked about 3 or 4 years . The other bulb ( left ) is good , keep if needed for replacement . Replaced with new pair few years ago . The bulbs are easy to install .

View attachment 96601View attachment 96602
A good set of HID's blow those out of the water.

The Xtravision bulbs are good halogen bulbs though (much longer life that the ripoff Silverstars with just about the same amount of light).

Iv'e seen this happen in those reflector housings too. The thin layer of sputtered aluminum starts to peel and fall like ceiling paint in a New York Brownstone. When it falls like a flap and covers over the bulb - that's when the fun begins.
I had this happen on my Focus after driving in a snowstorm for 6 hours in heavy traffic. I had Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs installed. The housing started to melt and drip down on the bulbs. It was like opening a bag of Lay's potato chips. I had to replace both headlight assemblies.

Brownstone slander 😒
I've seen a few older headlights lose the plastic chrome paint if you will
But by the time that happens, the exterior is so weathered that polishing can't save them

The bowls are reflective. Halogen projector bowl on left, HID projector bowl on right, both from a Toyota Avensis. View attachment 96389
I suffered that and fixed it for about €3 following a YouTube tutorial. It's awkward but possible with patience to disassemble them (yes put them in a low temperature oven to unseal them) and by using aluminium metallic tape you layer triangle cuts down onto the bowls. Changing to high power bulbs is a waste of time. My lights are now perfect. Dealer wanted about €1500. Lol.

View attachment 96601View attachment 96602
I have had good luck with Philips xtreme vision bulbs..

all projector bowls (halogen and HID) are subject to burning over time. hid bulbs lose intensity as they age and it can be quite noticeable when the bulb is replaced, but the bowl should be inspected too. there are actually good aftermarket projectors that can be swapped, but you have to open the housings.

Back