is this 2 cycle oil any good compared to the new stuff?

found this bottle while cleaning. don't remember buying it . So how does this compare to the new stuff out on the market? want to use it in my chainsaw, blower and string trimmer

Attachments

• IMG_20220421_162453.jpg
    IMG_20220421_162453.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 62
TC-W3 is still a current standard. I also found an oldie. This is Tech 2000, Walmart store brand in Canada prior to Super Tech showing up. This bottle is probably about 20 years old and unopened. It’s also TC-W3 for both injection and mixing.

Right fine in an outboard and some other engines, but for example the stihl ms250 chainsaw prohibits the use of tc-w3 or mixed use 2 cycle oil.

ISO-L-EGD or JASO FD is best for modern OPE 2-stroke engines. I've seen a few owners manuals (for air cooled OPE) specifically state DO NOT use a TC-W3 oil.

For Stihl 4-mix engines, it's probably best to use what's recommended by Stihl due to the unique design of their engines.

lol cost too much to send a quart of oil these days. i will just keep it around for emergency.

i think i will just pony up for some new stuff. just hate wasting stuff
Mix it 1 oz to 5 gal of gasoline for your lawn mower and other small engines. It helps fight corrosion in the fuel system and carburetor.
I use it along with Stabil every time I fill the gas can and run it all year long. When I store the mower, I run the carb dry and the oil leaves a thin protective film inside. Mower and generator always start 6 months later on first or second pull.

Mix it 1 oz to 5 gal of gasoline for your lawn mower and other small engines. It helps fight corrosion in the fuel system and carburetor.
I use it along with Stabil every time I fill the gas can and run it all year long. When I store the mower, I run the carb dry and the oil leaves a thin protective film inside. Mower and generator always start 6 months later on first or second pull.
+1

I do the exact same thing and ever since I started 6 or 7 years ago, no more rebuilding the junk chinese carb on my B&S Craftsman mower. In fact, I run TCW3 1oz to 5 gallons of gas in all of my vehicles, as well as in the Kubota L2501. It's useful stuff.

Millions of people use TCW3 in power equipment with no issues but it’s not ideal. Maybe keep it around as a general purpose lube for door hinges and locks and whatnot. I’d probably use it as undercoating as well. I found 2 stroke oil to be great for outdoor padlocks. Keeps them working smooth and rust free. Maybe because of the corrosion inhibitors.

ISO-L-EGD or JASO FD is best for modern OPE 2-stroke engines. I've seen a few owners manuals (for air cooled OPE) specifically state DO NOT use a TC-W3 oil.

For Stihl 4-mix engines, it's probably best to use what's recommended by Stihl due to the unique design of their engines.

The idea that TCW-3 won't protect is in error. Racers have discovered that it works quite well in high output engines. Including air cooled engines.

If it bothers you that TCW-3 is slightly diluted for pumpability in oil injection systems, add a touch more. I run everything at 32 to 1.

As 92saturn mentions, EGD/FD oils are likely the best choice for most people.

I have a bunch of two stroke oil left from when I had a couple Evinrudes on my previous Lund boat. I don't have anything that is two stroke anymore. I am all electric or 4 stroke on everything.

Back