Is there really alot of differance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been reading alot about using 5w30 in a vehicle speced for 5w20 and was wondering if there is really any damage that could happen to your motor if you do this.If i (say for example)used pu 5w30 that has a 10.3 cst at 100 degrees celsius and a hths of 3.1 or used (for example)redline 5w20 which has a 9.1 cst at 100 degrees celcius and a hths of 3.3,would the slight differance of thickness of the oil at operating temperature,which would be 1.2 cst really cause any damage to the vct or anything else.

If you can use 5W-20, use it. There is no reason not to otherwise. Your mileage will go down, slightly, that is probably it.

Everything else? No it will not cause any sort of damage.

Was in a local Ford parts store a while ago and noticed they now sell Castrol oil in 5w20.

It was additionally marked up for the new Ecoboost engines. This is the first UK market vehicle that I know to take 5w20.

I know some US cars like the Sebring with the 2.4 specced 5w20 or similar though.

I wonder how many other will follow soon.

There may be others perhaps but this is the first time I have seen 5w20 on the shelf anywhere, ever.

I've witness many Camrys and Fords, spec'd for 5w20, have 20w50 poured into them. They ran afterwards without any perceivable issue.

Originally Posted By: fffff
My vehicle is a 2012 ford f150 with the 5.0.

With a REAL ADDED oil pressure gauge???

The Ford gauges I've seen either register pressure or not regardless of actual pressure...

My vehicle is a 2012 ford f150 with the 5.0.

I have the same truck. 2012 5.0L exCab 145"WB.
No problems running 5W30.

Use 5w-20 during the warranty period. If you have an engine related problem they will fight your claim.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Use 5w-20 during the warranty period. If you have an engine related problem they will fight your claim.

Very important fact.

After the warranty expires use whatever you want within reason.

MANY TIMES the same vehicles in other markets like Europe, Australia, South Africa, and Latin America will spec a choice of different weights and there is NO potential mechanical problem using them in fact some of those other choices might be more suitable in the long run such as if you live in very hot climates or do a high amount of high speed driving like you might on Western US interstates during the summer.

Last edited:
I do alot of heavy towing ,but the main reason i want to use a 5w30 is i have two more cars in the family that take 5w30 and that is what im stocked up on.

I do alot of heavy towing ,but the main reason i want to use a 5w30 is i have two more cars in the family that take 5w30 and that is what im stocked up on.

Better start a 5w-20 stash! 5w-20 holds up just as good a 5w30, most V10s are running around with 5w20 and have lasted hundred of thousands of miles while towing.

I see your from Iowa as well, what part ya from?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Why would anyone think that going with one grade heavier oil would damage the engine?
I have a pretty good idea why OP got that impression, but I would like to hear from him.
Just from reading some posts ,the main thing i heard was it could mess up the vct.

Originally Posted By: volk06

Better start a 5w-20 stash! 5w-20 holds up just as good a 5w30, most V10s are running around with 5w20 and have lasted hundred of thousands of miles while towing.

I see your from Iowa as well, what part ya from?
Im from Dubuque.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back