Is there really a spray and rinse wheel cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not lazy, but I wash my vehicles on a weekly basis (at most bi-weekly). I have some wheels where it is a real pain to reach in and get the nooks with a cloth. I have tried so many wheel cleaners and degreasers, not one I have found works like they say. "Spray on, let set for a minute or so and rince with a strong stream of water." Is there a product you guys have found that actually works...just on light dust even?

Thanks in advance

Everyone that I have used has required some agitation with a brush. Even really expensive wheel cleaners like Sonax require some agitation. I have never used them but I hear that acidic ones don't need agitation.

Go to a local dealership or car detailing shop and ask what they use. Might be pricey though. I bought a gallon of wheel cleaner from a local detailer supply house for $28 and it works great. Spray it on, hose it off. It will eat the sprayers if you don't rinse them out after use.

I think Sonax is pretty close if used on a regular basis. I have only tried it with pressure wash and not the regular garden hose.

Last edited:
Poorboy's Spray & Rinse has worked for me 9 out of 10 times as far as just rinsing once done. It is acidic so reading the directions is vital.

Chubbs- Go to your local West Marine and buy a spray bottle of Roll Off. Cost is around $12.00. Non toxic, no chemicals, and it cleans anything. I use it on both of my boats. It will clean stains of any metal, vinyl, plastic, upholstery, canvas, fiberglass, pretty much any material without damaging it.

I have been using it for years to remove exhaust soot stains, rust stains, sun tan lotion stains on boat seats, black streaks, etc. It's actually called Amazing Roll Off. Try it and you will see why.

P.S.- I don't own any stock in the company. Just recommending a good product. It also removed some stains on my garage floor that were 10yrs old that nothing else did.

Originally Posted By: gwdriver
Chubbs- Go to your local West Marine and buy a spray bottle of Roll Off. Cost is around $12.00. Non toxic, no chemicals, and it cleans anything. I use it on both of my boats. It will clean stains of any metal, vinyl, plastic, upholstery, canvas, fiberglass, pretty much any material without damaging it.

I have been using it for years to remove exhaust soot stains, rust stains, sun tan lotion stains on boat seats, black streaks, etc. It's actually called Amazing Roll Off. Try it and you will see why.

P.S.- I don't own any stock in the company. Just recommending a good product. It also removed some stains on my garage floor that were 10yrs old that nothing else did.

autogeek.net recently had a BOGO deal on this. i wished i would have jumped on it. it doesnt hurt anything (clearcoat, plastic/vinyl, rubber, electronics etc) from what i read. and it supossedly leaves a "protective" coating behind. sounds like good stuff.

Originally Posted By: gwdriver

I concur. It is bar none the best 'tackle anything' cleaner. When detailing I used it for tires & wheels, wheel wells, engines, and more. That was cut 50% with water. Around the house there's nothing it won't clean.

As far as wheels alone it did not work as well as the Poorboys's I mentioned above but that is a single purpose item and you need to exercise some caution with it.

sonax and griot's heavy duty wheel cleaner have the same effects (turns iron deposits and other material into a dark purple color "bleeds"). it seems the nicer wheel cleaners have this "additive" in them. basicly the same stuff ironx is made out of. very helpfull when cleaning wheels but smeels horible!

Think of cleaning your wheels like a coin-op no touch pressure car wash. You can wash your car with the high pressure spray soap, rinse etc but you still have dirt when you are done. You have to touch the dirt to remove it...that's what nothing beats a good hand wash. Same with wheels - wheel cleaners will get a lot off, but you still got to manually touch the surface to get them completely clean. That light film always stays there otherwise.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Will the Roll Off product be safe for aluminum alloy wheels?

Yes, cut it 50% with water and follow the directions. Always wet the surface with water first.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Will the Roll Off product be safe for aluminum alloy wheels?

Yes, cut it 50% with water and follow the directions. Always wet the surface with water first.

Cool. I'll look for it at local marine shops.

My favorite wheel cleaner is Mother's. Problem is it's hard to find, even at places that carries their other products. Just recently bought a bottle at Pep Boys. Works amazingly well on cleaning my front clear-coated aluminum wheels when they get covered in brake residue.

I've had bad experiences with different pre sprays and I'm always terried of staining from a cleaner. Just use regular car wash soap and hose for cleaning wheels and results will always be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back