Is there a reliable head unit for Trimmer Plus?

I started with a Troy-Bilt TB525EC 12 years ago. While I had it on the bench to solve a gas leak after 4 years I had to keep the lawn going so I bought a second head unit. I put the first one aside and used the second one for 4 years. I then bought a TB304H 2 years ago because the second TB525EC wouldn't start. Now the latest one won't start. I've always used fresh gas and maintained the oil. I run the unit about 20 minutes of use a week during the mowing season.

I've decided, as many others online I see, that these units just aren't well built and quality is decreasing. Is there a high quality "Trimmer Plus" head 4 stroke head unit?

Or should I purchase separate units for trimming, edging and pole saw use.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Are you looking for gas only? I have a 60v Dewalt power head that works with all of the Trimmer Plus attachments and a Ryobi sweeper. It has been a good unit.

have you tried replacing the carb? usually pretty cheap.
otherwise I like ECHO.. but that is not 4-stroke

Since my go-kart/mini bike days I've always been good at small engine maintenance and repair but these small 4 strokes aren't fun to work on so I'm open to the 60v Dewalt idea - thanks for recommending that.

I will try swapping in a new carb before I give up on it.

Thanks

I liked my husqavarna 4 stroke straight shaft trimmer - reliable and good unit, but the shaft angle was shallow so I was always hunching over to use it, and it was not interchangeable. So I picked up the ryobi 40v and eventually gave the husq away. The ryobi won’t give the number of hours over its lifespan, but it gets the job done and it is a little surprising how it seems simpler to use.

My son purchased a Dewalt string trimmer. I broke right out of warranty. Barely used and lightly used.

Since then I have a two year old Stihl battery trimmer. It is so much better than the Dewalt.

Look into the Echo PAS. It has the 2-stroke powerhead that you can swap the attachments. That is what I have and love it, nice and light, starts easy, and I have the trimmer, pole saw, edger, and brush cutter attachments. I don't like the hand held 4-strokes, they are cheaply made and heavier. Avoid MTD brands like Troy-bilt and cub cadet, they are engineered to be throw-away.

Picked up the Dewalt DCST972X1 at Home Depot. They only had an open box but the manager gave me $30 off. It doesn't appear to have been used and was complete. I'll probably pick up an extra battery, maybe a 5.0AH - whatever comes up on sale. Did you get the DCS118 or DCS1112 charger (the fan cooled faster chargers)?

Agree with jeepman3071, the MTD units are annoyingly unreliable - each one I've bought is less so than it's predecessor

Picked up the Dewalt DCST972X1 at Home Depot. They only had an open box but the manager gave me $30 off. It doesn't appear to have been used and was complete. I'll probably pick up an extra battery, maybe a 5.0AH - whatever comes up on sale. Did you get the DCS118 or DCS1112 charger (the fan cooled faster chargers)?
I have two chargers (unsure of models) and charge the 60v battery on both. I do not really pay attention to which charges at what speed.

I haven’t ever heard a fan in one, but then again I never paid attention.

I watched a video about the chargers and read up on them - the DB115 that comes with the trimmer is all I need. Pros on the job benefit from the rapid charging units.

The unit appears well constructed, I used it this morning and was able to trim, edge and blow first time this spring so this unit fits the job. I used my existing attachments. Property is on a corner and 1/3 acre.

Back