Is there a recommended high mileage / seal additive for transmission & steering fluid?

I have a stock of transmission and power steering fluid for an older vehicle.

Everything works well but I'm worried about seal leaks. Is there a recommended additive focused on that aspect of high mileage?

at 205 but use less of it than directed. It's a strong plasticizer that usually overdoes it and causes seals to rupture. It's .75oz per quart if i remember correctly but I'd say half of that or less.

I suck out the PS fluid with a turkey baster and replace it every so often. I try to do it just after its been run so hopefully any sediment, etc has been shaken into suspension. I wear good gloves so as not to burn myself.

I agree with sticking to OEM spec fluid if its not leaking now. You don't want to swell seals that are still good.

They make high mileage atfs and power steering fluids. As long as it’s suitable for your application I don’t think it’s gonna harm anything. I wouldn’t use a high mileage additive or any additive except maybe Lubegard in a transmission, myself, unless it’s was leaking already and I didn’t want to put time or money into fixing it.

Prestone makes a PSF with stop leak. Not sure about transmission, but you're not saying you have a leak, just that you're worried you might get one. At least that's how I understood your phrasing. I would continue using OEM fluids and if a leak develops, deal with it then.

Only seal conditioner I’ve used with success is ATP AT205. Used it as directed and a good example is my 69 Ford. Used to leave puddles of trans and engine oils after sitting a month or so. Not bone dry or anything but barely leaves drops. Worked well in a few other vehicles without any problems.

Back