Is there a one oil out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
All diesels? I like the Amsoil Marine oil myself. Works for well for gas and diesel.
There are a lot that should work well. Others should chime in.
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
No one oil covers all bases, however HDEO's like Delo or Rotella will serve these situations with better results than PCMO's. It's a hard toss up for me between Delo or Rotella, two very fine oils that will serve anything form air cooled lawn engines to your powerstroke, and also your gaser chevy's which a PCMO like a 5w-30 (or whatever the manual calls for) might be better, however that is also debatable as the HDEO problem is viscosity only if choosing one oil such as a 15-40 as the oil itself will outperform what the manufacture calls for as far as add packs, oci etc.

Welcome!

No, there is not "one" oil out there.
There are many choices for brands and grades, actually, that will suffice quite nicely.

You really haven't given us a deep understanding of what your engine specifics are (age, etc), severity of use and OCIs are, so we'll have to make some generalizations.

Depending upon application, you might be able to use a 10w-30 HDEO. Or, likely a 15w-40 will work well also. I mention this difference because if you have a lot of starts in winter, the lighter grade does very well. I have used 10w-30 and 15w-40 year round with equally good results.

You can use syn's if you choose, but know that there is little ROI on these unless you greatly extend the OCI.

If you intend to use UOAs to the full extent, you'll need to be consistent with the oil grade and brand. If not, then drain, fill and don't worry about it.

I fully expect that any CJ-4 fluid will fill all your needs; you can likely use one oil for all. If you're going to follow the OEM OCI guidelines, you'll be perfectly fine using any quality brand name oil (Delo, Delvac, Rotella, Tection Extra, Premium Blue, Long Life Gold, etc).

Follow your OEM specs and PM plan, and you'll get a long life out of your equipment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Giants
that covers most if not all the bases?
I have a Bobcat skid Kubota diesel, 7.3 Powerstroke, Perkins Diesel, two Chevy pickups.

Depends on what type of customer you are. If you want an oil that you can just go to the China-Mart and pick up then Delo,Rotella, or even Delvac Super work fine in multi-engine fleets. I have Kubotas, trucks and cars and I run HDEO in most of them. The only exception is an Accord that gets 5W20. I like Schaeffer oils. They have a 10W30 HDEO that is great for mixed-fleet use. You just can't go wrong with most of the oils made today.

450.000 mi on 6.9 diesel F250. All with Penzoil HD 30 and Fram filters. 4,000 mi OCI. Truck was stolen.

330,000 mi on 99 F250 7.3 Rotella 15w 40w. Wix, Motorcraft or Baldwin filters. 4,000 mi OCI. I did run Amsoil AME for 9,000 mi . @290,00 mi got oil seeps . Switched back to Shell. seaps or leaks stopped after 2 OCI. Still going

108,000 mi on 06 Dmax. Amsoil AME since 25,000mi with EAO filters & 10,000 mi OCI. Still going

Years ago an old mechanic (he gave me all is old tools , some which were from Model T's & the 1st Snap On's )
Said: " use a quality oil rated for your truck but never change brands"

Which I have done.

I have a Bobcat skid Kubota diesel, 7.3 Powerstroke, Perkins Diesel, two Chevy pickups.

A 5w40 or 15w40 would do fine in all them.

Is there a Schaeffers oil rep here on this site? My local guy just doesn't answer my calls.

We not only have a Schaeffer's oil rep on here, but we have "THE" Schaeffer's oil rep on here. Mark will take care of you.

Hi Mark, 15w-40?
Ok, we live in northeast Pa, should I go lower on the 15 side for winter use?
If not, 7000 series price by the quart, 5gal pail, and 30 gal drum?

Mark, does Schaeffer have an additive for the ethanol fuel we're being forced to use come September? I've lost two Stihl engines at $600 to this tree hugging nonsense.

Our email is [email protected]

Originally Posted By: daman

A 5w40 or 15w40 would do fine in all them.

That is correct. If you use a 5w40, most majors are rated SM which can also be used as a PCMO oil. I know people are using 15/40 in reg gas motors, but i wouldnt recommend a 15/40.

In fact you can use Citgard 700 in CNG motors without any issues. Its been tested on larg CNG fleets without issues. the ash content is very low.

But to answer your question any 15/40 will work in those applications. but if you want to extend drains us a 5w40. CITGO, or Mystik!!!

I have been running the T-9000 5W40 in a MBenz 3.0 diesel
So far it has been clear sailing, no problems.
I was going to run a UOA on the last oil change but remembered I had topped off, now I have to go another 10-15,000 miles till I can do one.

The oil itself is rated very high by the manufacturer . It has a MB spec 229.51 one of the highest in the industry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back