Is there a good streaming service without sports?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I was told to be prepared to start traveling a lot and for extended times at work today. My Wife's response is she wants a streaming service. We are looking into youtube TV, but it appears to have a lot of sports channels- something we are not interested in paying for. My Wife likes channels such as The Food Network and HGTV. We had Canadian Satellite Shaw Direct in the past, and really enjoyed it, but Shaw Direct is not available through standard methods in the USA.

Can anyone suggest a robust streaming service that does not have any sport networks/ channels? We do not want/ need local channels.

Of note- we have Netflix and have likely watched under ten hours of content in the past ten years.

A hasty search identifies Philo as a like match.

Last edited:
This will depend on the budget and a number of things. Are you a Apple family? Apple TV is okay and you have plenty of ala carte choices plus their Fitness channel if she is into that. It all ties into the Apple ecosystem.

There are a number of choices out there.

This will depend on the budget and a number of things. Are you a Apple family? Apple TV is okay and you have plenty of ala carte choices plus their Fitness channel if she is into that. It all ties into the Apple ecosystem.

There are a number of choices out there.
We have Apple TV, but not sure how it works. My Wife is a bit challenging when it comes to TV.

We just downloaded Philo on the Apple TV app and are trying the trial.

Check out Philo-$25 a month for 60+ channels including HGTV and The Food Network.
Thanks, we are trying it right now. Looks pretty good. Only issue was a message that Philo is not supported by our Xfinity service. But Philo appears to be working on our Apple TV box.

I'm going to say Discovery+ is your best fit...$4.99/month and includes those 2 channels plus a few more that are in the same category.

Reactions: GON
I use Youtube TV as a DVR. Don't watch anything live and can usually fast forward through the ads which I suspect run at 35-40% of the run time. Just add the shows to your library and it will save them for you.

Check out Philo-$25 a month for 60+ channels including HGTV and The Food Network.
+1
Plus all of the A&E, AMC, Warner Bros, Discovery, and Paramount Network channels (and not a single home shopping channel in the bunch).

you could try plain old Hulu for ~$14/month. I'm guessing there is not much sports on that. We have Hulu live (~$70/month) and get sports but the family can watch what they want including local channels.

just my $0.02

Instead of "don't want to watch sport" why don't you tell us what exactly do you like to watch?

I usually sign up for Hulu for 99c or $1.99 per month during Black Friday. Just signed up for HBO Max free trial during a quarantine and watched till the free trial is over, got my money worth (Westworld, Ghibli, Harry Potters) but I don't think I'll pay for it because most of the shows I'm either not interested or won't watch it again and again. I know people who have to watch them and will pay, so basically only you knows what you want.

I'm going to skip the recommendation of Crunch Roll and Adult Swim because, despite not having sport, I don't think you are an Anime fan.

I'm going to say Discovery+ is your best fit...$4.99/month and includes those 2 channels plus a few more that are in the same category.
I pulled the trigger quickly, went with Philo, thanks for posting this.

you could try plain old Hulu for ~$14/month. I'm guessing there is not much sports on that. We have Hulu live (~$70/month) and get sports but the family can watch what they want including local channels.

just my $0.02
Staying away when possible with any company that has strong ties to Disney,att, and Comcast. The reasons I stay away is they have worked hard to limit free competition.

And for note, I like millions of other Americans have paid Disney through it's ESPN channels thousands of dollars involuntary, and for that reason I avoid anything ESPN related when feasible.

I use Youtube TV as a DVR. Don't watch anything live and can usually fast forward through the ads which I suspect run at 35-40% of the run time. Just add the shows to your library and it will save them for you.
My Wife likes your idea, she wanted YouTube premium as she has decided to be anti commercial. Issue is she can't figure out a dvr.

Instead of "don't want to watch sport" why don't you tell us what exactly do you like to watch?

I usually sign up for Hulu for 99c or $1.99 per month during Black Friday. Just signed up for HBO Max free trial during a quarantine and watched till the free trial is over, got my money worth (Westworld, Ghibli, Harry Potters) but I don't think I'll pay for it because most of the shows I'm either not interested or won't watch it again and again. I know people who have to watch them and will pay, so basically only you knows what you want.

I'm going to skip the recommendation of Crunch Roll and Adult Swim because, despite not having sport, I don't think you are an Anime fan.
I thought I did, this is for my wife, primarily food network and HGTV. But she doesn't like commercials. Not fun trying to make her happy with this.

I thought I did, this is for my wife, primarily food network and HGTV. But she doesn't like commercials. Not fun trying to make her happy with this.
I was going to suggest Hulu but you don't like Disney and you already signed up for something else.

My Wife likes your idea, she wanted YouTube premium as she has decided to be anti commercial. Issue is she can't figure out a dvr.
You just add the show to your library and it's there when is recorded. Basically, it's an on demand streaming like Netflix and available for 6 months or so. My wife does that with The View and I do it with the Meal Mayhem and Star Trek TNG. That's basically what we watch from broadcast TV.

Back