Is there a better oil than ATF in a ZF- 6 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Specific knowledge?

Yes.

Furthermore, your attempt to now focus the discussion on cooling/temperature as a validation of your viewpoint displays a fundamental misunderstanding as to why MTF was chosen over ATF.

I didn't mean to start a war here. I am going to change the oil in it and I bought an external filter kit for it that I am going to install at the same time. I just wondered if the ATF was more for fuel mileage than it was for actually being the best for the longevity of the trans. The truck has had a pretty pampered life so far in its life. I bought the truck new and its just been used to haul my daughters around on their horse adventures. Now they are gone and married I get to play with the truck more but I still have the horses that I get to ride now. I have farmed and had semi's all my life so I do understand how things work mechanically. Also thank you guys for the info. Been a long time lurker and this is one of the first post that i have posted.

Last edited:
Cool it , mates.

We're in it for a real and objective presentations of complex oil 'issues' ......... with personal preferences or inclinations on choice of oils ........ basing on technical articulation of facts ......

Keep up your productive contributions here in Bitog .....
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: rideahorse
I just wondered if the ATF was more for fuel mileage than it was for actually being the best for the longevity of the trans.

That didn't end up in your transmission on the basis of fuel economy.

From the perspective of Ford, it's already available, minimizes cost, and simplifies inventory, all while working well enough.

If your interest is longevity and shifting performance, making the switch to a MTF that's formulated for the application would be advisable.

^^ I agree with the above poster. Ford's choice of ATF has more to do with simplification of inventory, as one fluid can be used across all vehicles on the assembly line.

I would use Pennzoil Synchromesh, or Royal Purple Synchromax if it were my truck. I believe it to be a more robust fluid for manual transmission applications.

Viscosity is about 15% higher (8.5 cst vs ~ 6.5 for ATF), but no so viscous as to cause pumpability problems in cold ambient temps.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Viscosity is about 15% higher (8.5 cst vs ~ 6.5 for ATF)

Motorcraft Mercon V: 7.5 cSt @ 100°C
ZF-Ecofluid M: 9.3 cSt @ 100°C
Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid: 15.4 cSt @ 100°C

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

...Definitely too many clueless keyboard jocks here.

...I'm done debating with fools.

But, but, but....

crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back