Is the truck based SUV dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a future for truck based body-on-frame SUV's with a solid rear axel and 2-speed transfer case? It seems the only ones left are the Nissan Xterra, Toyota SR5, and Jeep Wrangler. I am have missed one...

Most have been dropped in favor of a cross over platform.

There are plenty of truck based SUVs out there. Having IRS does not mean that they aren't truck based. What makes it truck based, is having a "Body on frame" design. Some of those are listed here.

Expedition, Suburban, Tahoe, Envoy, Trailblazer, Yukon, Grand Cherokee (will remain truck based, I believe) Durango, Aspen, Toyota Sequioa..... And so on. There are plenty

Well, you still have the Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban/Yukon XL and Escalades.

They aren't going anywhere soon...to the dismay of "some" around here.

I think the market is reflecting that people don't care what's underneath as long as they have the reason they bought an SUV to begin with...room, good sightlines, all-weather ability, etc. What is the percentage of new SUV sales that will be actually used in such a way as to require an actual frame? 5%?

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
There are plenty of truck based SUVs out there. Having IRS does not mean that they aren't truck based. What makes it truck based, is having a "Body on frame" design. Some of those are listed here.

Expedition, Suburban, Tahoe, Envoy, Trailblazer, Yukon, Grand Cherokee (will remain truck based, I believe) Durango, Aspen, Toyota Sequioa..... And so on. There are plenty

Specifically looking at solid rear axle SUV's. Envoy and Trailblazer are no longer in production and have been replaced with a cross-over. Cherokee is not body on frame, and does not have a 2 speed TC, (although you may be able to order one as an option.) Durango and Aspen are due to be discontinued I believe.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/all-new-dodge-durango-to-surface-next-year.html

Last edited:
Yes,and dont forget the prestige ,like most women I know here in FL really need that full frame to hold the massive weight of those five bags of groceries.....oh ya and guys too.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Specifically looking at solid rear axle SUV's. Envoy and Trailblazer are no longer in production and have been replaced with a cross-over. Cherokee is not body on frame, and does not have a 2 speed TC, (although you may be able to order one as an option.) Durango and Aspen are due to be discontinued I believe.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/all-new-dodge-durango-to-surface-next-year.html

Nissan Armada has a solid rear axle, IIRC. Based on the Titan platform. Full boxed frame. The later models are greatly improved over the earlier.

Dave

What is so great about rear axle SUVs? They ride much rougher and handle way worse than ones with IRS. The Expedition is a perfect example of this. The 03+ models are much better rated than the earlier ones, which had a solid axle. Our 2003 Expedition has IRS, IFS, a 2 speed Transfer case, and has a tow rating of 8900lbs.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Solid rear axel is the only option if you want to do any serious off-roading

Ok I can't disagree with you here. But really, how many people actually offroad?

toyota sr5? 4runner?
nissan xterra and pathfinder?
maybe mahindra? someday? maybe?

crossovers ride and handle nicer than trucks. perfect for people who just want the suv look, interior size, or need the extra height to see over traffic.
leaves the truck based suv's to people that might actually tow something or go offroad.

don't serious offroaders also want a solid axle up front?

I am wondering what the future is for vehicles that have true off road capability defined as: body on frame, solid rear axle and 2 speed transfer case. Those were my criteria arbitrary as they may be.

Still in production:
Toyota 4 Runner (new for 2010)
Nissan Xterra (due for replacement in 2011)
Jeep Wrangler
Nissan Armanda (?)
Toyota Sequioa
GM Tahoe (and variants)
Toyota FJ cruiser (discontinued after 2010 model year)

Last edited:
I doubt the wrangler will ever change. They might upgrade it a little, but I think it will stay the same basic formula. New engines. (Give us the new Pentastar, and a diesel as an option PLEASE)

I have both a 2008 Wrangler and a 2010 4 runner. The 4 runner rides nicer than the IRS explorer we traded in. AS far as offroading, that's one of our passtime. My wife is about to get her feet wet in the new to her real estate market and the fact is their are many rural properties here down miles of unimproved surface roads. The fact that It is also an alternative trail vehicle to my purely recreational Wrangler makes it attractive.

THe niche is not dying just shrinking and hopefully as I have been observing accomadating to meet the needs of those who need and use it since those who don't will be drawn to the crossovers and the true SUV will get a focus on capbility.

Originally Posted By: gtx510
toyota sr5? 4runner?
nissan xterra and pathfinder?
maybe mahindra? someday? maybe?

crossovers ride and handle nicer than trucks. perfect for people who just want the suv look, interior size, or need the extra height to see over traffic.
leaves the truck based suv's to people that might actually tow something or go offroad.

don't serious offroaders also want a solid axle up front?

For on road travel, yes. But if your looking for a rugged vehicle for offroad and onroad use, then a solid rear truck like setup is what you want.

The FJ Cruiser, Xterra's, Cherokee Classic's and previous Gen Wranglers are just that. These are all built tough and can do a wonder off road stock, and when built up are beasts compared to their modern replacements.

The TRUCK based SUV are still alive and well for those that need a real off road vehicle but, there is a newer catigory of CAR based vehicles called CUV's or Crossover's

I doubt the wrangler will ever change. They might upgrade it a little, but I think it will stay the same basic formula. New engines. (Give us the new Pentastar, and a diesel as an option PLEASE)

Amen Brother. A 4BT Cummins should fit nicely under that hood and have more than sufficient low grunt for off-roading.

My mom chose the Jeep GC over several Car based vehicles because she said the GC felt more solid.

GC-Body on frame
Others-unibody

Mom never goes off road, and has 2wd.

Jeep GCs and Cherokees have never really been true body on frame. They are partial uni-body, IIRC The frame doesn't connect full length of the vehicle.

The car based ones are HOT, I have been searching for an early VUE as they don't make minivans with inline 4s and 5 speed stick shifts anymore. C4C swallowed all the mid 90s explorers with solid axles and 15 MPG, and IMO the drivers are gobbling up all the cute utes so they can stay sitting above traffic. (and driving poorly to compensate for the great view, eg, texting.)

The darn VUEs are going for over kbb, and I never pay even near that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back