Is The Military Really Buying Up All The Civilian Ammo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought that 9mm yesterday because I will NEVER find it at that price again for a VERY LONG time!
My favorite gun of choice are my .40 calibers. I think I will have a better chance of striking oil in my front yard then to find some .40 caliber ammo.
Oh, I know where some .40 caliber is, Gunbroker. But, you have to go sell a kidney to afford it there.
Heck here when you can get it it’s pricey and can only get two boxes. And for me 0 boxes because I’m not 21 yet. I can get shot gun ammo and rifle ammo. So that’s how we were able to get 4 boxes of .223. We need some for our 38 special too but can’t find that either.

My dinner guest last night wants to purchase a gun. She has never owned a gun but has shot a couple before (.380 and 9mm).
I am beginning to teach her, starting with gun safety first! After I feel she has gained enough knowledge in safety, I will then move onto her learning to handle a gun and proper shooting techniques on how to grip/hold it properly. I also taught her which eye is her dominant eye. I feel very confident in my teaching abilities and want her to crawl before she walks.
To be continued. ;)

As astro has said. It will take years. Its available at ugly costs. But I will pay to play while others are hording keeping the price up. No choice except stop playing and I'm not up for that.

There are very few places in my area that sell ammo. Many stopped selling it before the latest situation started due to the hoops that must he jumped just to be able to sell ammo.

Even fewer sell guns.

I have not seen any common ammo in months. Big 5 near me has had 3.5in long 12g and 25-70 only.

Nothin I can use.

Cut down to just 3 or 4 calibers, and start self loading. It is relaxing, fun, cheaper, and easier to buy supplies, than boxes of ammo I've found. Only make 30-30, and 308 (7.62 mm) myself.

Cut down to just 3 or 4 calibers, and start self loading. It is relaxing, fun, cheaper, and easier to buy supplies, than boxes of ammo I've found. Only make 30-30, and 308 (7.62 mm) myself.
You have them already that's true I've seen fools sell 1K boxes of primers for $125 used to be under $40. Bullets are sold out every where. Powder well I'm not paying $50 to $60 a pound. Just like oil this is why reloaders have stash.

You have them already that's true I've seen fools sell 1K boxes of primers for $125 used to be under $40. Bullets are sold out every where. Powder well I'm not paying $50 to $60 a pound. Just like oil this is why reloaders have stash.

I have enough to make about 3,500 rounds of 30-30 and 6,000 rounds of 308.

I bought that 9mm yesterday because I will NEVER find it at that price again for a VERY LONG time!
My favorite gun of choice are my .40 calibers. I think I will have a better chance of striking oil in my front yard then to find some .40 caliber ammo.
Oh, I know where some .40 caliber is, Gunbroker. But, you have to go sell a kidney to afford it there.
i just find it kinda odd that with the lack of ammo, lots of guns are still being sold. i would think the gun market would slow or collapse without ammo.

i just find it kinda odd that with the lack of ammo, lots of guns are still being sold. i would think the gun market would slow or collapse without ammo.
True, but ammo is consumable while guns are not. Once you have one you're good, and many people had a hard time buying one or buying one they wanted. Many felt the need to grab what they could.

Reactions: 4WD
Let me add this: we have reached a stability point on the supply/demand curve. I can find ammo in stock, at a point that I consider outrageously expensive, but it is available. Did some shopping last week, and I can get almost any ammo, at about 4-5 times the regular price.

For example:
9mm - $1.00/round
.45 ACP - $1.00/round
10mm - $1.20/round
5.56 - $1.25/round
.300BLK - $1.50/round
7.62x39 (steel case) - $0.75/round

These prices are crazy. About 4, or even 5, times as much as I was paying two years ago. I bought NO ammo at those prices, but it was on the shelves. It is available. Supply and demand have reached stability, at crazy prices.

I’ll continue to shoot, using the ammo that I had stockpiled 2015-2019. I had been buying quite a bit, and regret not buying more.
Yeah … cleaning up I found an old (mostly empty) box of .44 mag yesterday (50 box) … still had an $18 decal from a small gun store who was never the cheapest

This all reminds me of the California electric shortage many years ago................
Yea, those phone calls certainly were 🙈revealing. “Smartest guys in the room”🦨
As for ammo , time to start reloading. Brass is starting to come available from ranges online in the common calibers. Primers, welllllll 😖if you call all around regularly you might gind some in a month or 3.

I read 7 million new shooters. People who never owned guns. If they all bought two or three boxes for their new guns, that's a lot of ammo. My brother in law bought two new guns and 5 boxes of ammo. Manufactures are using the primers themselves. They only sell excess.

Civilian ammo does not meet military specifications. For example, civilian ammo doesn't require casemouth and primer sealant for waterproofness. 9mm pistol rounds have to meet stringent waterproofing requirements, more stringent than rifle ammo, since when the marines do a beach invasion from undersea, their main weapon is the lowly 9mm pistol.

As story in original post stated: No they are not

Closing this as removing several posts for political commentary, topic has run its course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back