Is the BRZ/FR-S FA20 a weak motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SkyActivG
Originally Posted By: R2d2
I find it hilarious that the op has spent his time bashing Hyundai, Honda, Toyota and Subaru and at the same time telling us how Mazda skyactive is the best thing since sliced bread. Now all of a sudden Mazda is junk.
If you want to start drama I'm all ears. I regard to Toyota their NON port injection GDI has issues. Hyrundai's are just Korean junk just like Kia and Daewoo. I'm sorry to be blunt about it but that's what is, in regard to what Korean cars are, buy them and run them 30k, then throw them away. I never bashed Honda. Link a thread detailing me bashings of Honda EarthDreams GDI. The SkyaActiv Mazda 3 is in the shop for welding and engine cleansing. The Mechanic even said to part ways with it. So I'd like for you to chime in to this post. I've basing my posts from Nasioc, Iwsti and many other Subaru forums. Do your homework and then come back for a real thread argument.

Hyundai and KIA are Korean junk? I'm sure this comes from your vast experience owning one or two. Let me guess, "ive read about their issues all over the internet..." Sure thing.

Your words from 10/15/13: Is Mazda's gdi system the best...

I have looked into various GDI systems. Hyundai's GDI is very spotty when comparing it to the Toyota GDI and SkyActiv. There seems to be an ongoing problems with carbon buildup on the intake vales in Hyundai's equipped with GDI. I have also read that Audi has also had carbon buildup issues with its GDI technology.

I have yet to find any articles about carbon buildup issues in Mazda's SkyActiv system. I would think that Mazda's system would be near flawless because Mazda is relying on this technology to catapult it to profits now that Mazda divorced Ford.[/[/

I would not condemn any OEM over a relatively few bad apples voicing their unfortunate experience on forums. You being one of those unfortunates. I also feel that an oci of 5K or less is more critical than the argument over synthetic vs conventional in a GDi application where synthetic isn't required, as pointed out by various bitogers. I too had a struggle with this.

Like I said, hopefully better luck with the new car but neither Mazda (for your experience) nor Hyundai, KIA etc (For what you've read) are POS manufacturers.

Last edited:
Why the about face with respect to vehicle purpose? IMO, the BRZ/FR-S and Mazda3 are not cars to be cross-shopped; they're in two different segments.

The engine in the BRZ and FR-S are the same.

The FA20 has had some issues, some of which I've personally experienced, but Subaru has apparently fixed the electrical gremlins - at least the two I've experienced were resolved.

If you're so skidding with new-year issues that the manufacturer is willing to resolve, then finding a 5-year-old or older vehicle with some positive history behind it seems more appropriate for you. I don't mean any disrespect, and I personally know how frustrating vehicle issues can be when you can do nothing to fix them yourself, but new tech will always have some growing pains, so unless you're willing to be the beta tester (new car, new design != tried and true, not by a moderate margin) then stick with a vehicle with a proven, but maybe less efficient tech approach, especially if your purpose is economy.

Case in point, an archaic-tech Ford Ranger that lasts forever with base maintenance only (based on family and Internet experiences with this vehicle) will save a heckuva lot more money after 300k miles, when compared to the latest high-tech car with the newest GDI and light-weight frame and super LRR tires, etc. I'm not commending you get a vehicle you consider uncomfortable, but maybe one that is PI vice GDI.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I think you should test drive a WRX...
I'm running away from the Wrx and Forrester XT. Both use the same 2.0 motor; however both have has dire mechanical failures.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2675626

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2683368

Subaru needs to fix the kinks in this motor. I feel as though Toyota could be parting ways with Subaru because of their new relationship with BMW in regard to the future Supra. I will say the the Boxer engine is amazing in the sense of reliability, but I don't see an application for it, unless it's turbocharged. Pretty much all of the Posche engines are turbocharged for this very reason. I'm sorry to predict this, but the BRZ and FR-S will probably become relics after 2016, hence the reason I want 1 Mwahaha. I'll get a clear bra to protect its front bumper, hood and fenders.

Most Porche engines are not turbocharged.

A few guys who beat on their cars and post anecdotal evidence of a failure is not a sign of poor reliability. I haven't seen anything to suggest that the FA20F is especially prone to failure. Every manufacturer is going to have a percentage of cars that fail. You'll be able to find the same comments for all of them.

We know my FB25 was having some oil burning issues that were widespread, for instance.

Subaru is a very different car, hopefully you like it enough for its superior parts. All cars have problems of some sort thankfully the majority of them sold are trouble free. Research can be detrimental as you become sensitive.

Sorry for my poorly edited post above. Typed quickly and phone auto-corrected. Skidding should be. skiddish and commending should be recommending.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Subaru is a very different car, hopefully you like it enough for its superior parts. All cars have problems of some sort thankfully the majority of them sold are trouble free. Research can be detrimental as you become sensitive.

Yep, I spent the first 20k+ miles in my STI worrying about cracked ring-lands!

Scratching my head. What makes their parts superior? Seems to me they aren't much different than other parts from other companies. Now if you had said something like the execution of their assembly maybe, but the one I just fixed didn't seem to have parts any better than anything else I have worked on.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Did the OP ever provide the pictures of this alleged rust that many of us requested?

I'm interested in seeing it.

He didn't post them in this thread:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3490733/2

He pulled the Chris Rock mic drop in that thread. He made one controversial statement and never came back in a thread that's over 4 pages long. With all the conflicting statements made about different manufacturers I will assume he's just forming opinions based on the internet hype at the time.

In order to really solve this problem you shouldn't be complaining to people on the internet about your "Mazda junk." You should talk to a Mazda rep as your car has a 5 year corrosion warranty.

RE: 5 year corrosion warranty.

None of the corrosion warranty are worth the paper they are printed on. It only covers rust holes. The body has to be really really thin for the metal to rust through in 5 years but you could be right and Mazda might be capable of achieving that feat!

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Scratching my head. What makes their parts superior? Seems to me they aren't much different than other parts from other companies. Now if you had said something like the execution of their assembly maybe, but the one I just fixed didn't seem to have parts any better than anything else I have worked on.

Sorry wrong choice of words. Parts I did not mean the actual parts but the sum of everything that makes up the car. That includes handling, style, reliability, feel, comfort etc.

Superior parts in BRZ I meant it is an incredible handling and fun to drive factor. In my 20's this car would be a blast. I would not like to own one now as a my daily driver.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
RE: 5 year corrosion warranty.

None of the corrosion warranty are worth the paper they are printed on. It only covers rust holes. The body has to be really really thin for the metal to rust through in 5 years but you could be right and Mazda might be capable of achieving that feat!

I agree that getting it fixed may take some convincing. However, he stated that the welds are rusting out. I would assume if welds are rusting and it's a safety issue that Mazda would fix it.

Last edited:
My 2012 Skyactiv 3 has no rust that I can find, and no carbon issues. So based on the criteria presented, Mazdas are obviously the best cars ever made period.

Originally Posted By: jdeare
My 2012 Skyactiv 3 has no rust that I can find, and no carbon issues. So based on the criteria presented, Mazdas are obviously the best cars ever made period.

Good post. Shows the silliness of making a broad judgment based on one example, no matter how salient it is to you personally.

Some like to convince themselves that there's something wrong with their current car in order to justify a new one. Shuddering due to deposits in a well maintained '14 Mazda at 19k miles is dubious, but im sure... not impossible.

Update. The Mazda dealership said that my Catalytic converter is toast, so therefore that's being warrantied as well. As soon as this car is fixed. I'm getting rid of it. It's brand new and has nothing but problems and the problems are catastrophic. As far as rust goes. there's plenty of threads about Mazda and their rust problems

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/mazda-3-rust-problems-1154766/

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthrea...the-2014-Mazda3

This is my first and last Mazda that I'll ever have. JUNK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back