is synthetic really better

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question isn't the same as it was 10 or even 5 years ago. Engines are better, and oils are better. While I think it was a no-brainer a few years back to say that synthetics were absolutely the way to go, I'm not convinced there's really much difference now. You'll likely easily reach 250,000 miles on a modern engine with just about any oil you can buy off the shelf. I've always used synthetics. Meanwhile, I've watched my family and friends reach the same upper limits of mileage using brand-name, off-the-shelf dino oil. I just think engines are better made, and the newest oil specs are so much better that the extra protection of a synthetic isn't what it used to be.

All boils down to vehicle, annual miles, and driving habits, IMO. In my 1.8T, it's synthetic all the way due to sludge warranty requirements if nothing else, OCI 5K miles or 6months (the 6 months will ALWAYS come first).

In my brand new Hyundai, it's 5w30 or 5w40 conventional oil, because car will only be driven 6-7K miles/year, most all city driving. Will change AT LEAST twice a year.

Both cars get LC20 as well, and are not driven hard at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back