Is Rotella T-syn Group-III base?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter what study or test is done, there will always be another one concluding you the opposite. Some are just more relevant than others. A 5w- lubricant will most likely provide better fuel economy than a 15w- if you are going to take off immediately after cold start, imagine WOT @ -20 F oil temp in your beloved heavy duty diesel engine.

And still I would like to know about the composition of the synthetic 5w-40 Chevron had in their test. Does the SAE paper say Delvac 1 or something like a known synthetic 5w-40 HDEO?

Ill pull it out tonight. As I recall, it did not explicitly state D1, but implied it both in the writing and in conversation with the test engineers.

Ill have to look through my stuff.

I, for one, don't think that you are lying. I agree that conceptually, there is validity to the idea that fuel economy hasn't changed much. But most of this is just relative to the time frame of the study data.

Nearly all oils have improved, and changed base stock configurations, over the last 8 years.

Again, I don't think that base stock has as much to do with fuel economy as does viscosity. Viscosity, being the resistance to flow in a general sense, will likely be the same for any given fluids with the same API grade rating, if all other things are held constant (temps, purity, test bed, etc).

Originally Posted By: Johnny
f HDEO is what you want use the RTS 5W-40 year round in Tulsa and sleep well at night.

+1 to that.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV

Yukon actually...work in OKC...u think on a CA emmissions vehicle though that the rotella could foul the O2's and/or cats? It doesn't use much if any oil

RTS is rated for both "C" and "S", as long as the "S" satisfies your engine requirements, it should pose no issue. I run it in a 09 Forester XT with good results, and it passed the PA sniffer just last week.

Hasn't been in long, but, I dont like the Rotella-T 10w-30 CJ4 in my Forester PZEV. Took a 2 MPG hit After the OC. Also Mr.Foz acquired some odd engine resonance noises on the H/W at 3000rpm. So far, Mclean5000 30/40wt custom driveway mixology has been working better for me. Either the Shell HDEO @12+ cSt is 2 Tick, and/or my motor is too new with only 9000mi on the clock and/or the new CJ4 aint good(in this app). I dont think you 4.0 need a HDEO. I'd look for something to give you a milage boost. My fos gets 28 highway/30 town. My old ( new) cherokee got about 16 town if I recall.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
It is not a game of mobil 1 vs valvoline that is being played... this was an attempt at what appeared to me to be an honest comparison, and showed slightly better performance of Delo LE 400 than rotella and delvac 1300.

I believe it completely. I think Delo 400 LE is the best CJ-4 conventional HDEO made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back