Is Oil Good After 70 Years? Project Farm finds out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by burla
Youtube cold flow tests are far superior, just google it, I wont repost it. You see multiple oil tests at -20f and minus -22f and -22c. It was zero coincidence project farm choose -15 to do his tests. You see what happens to the great oils at just -5f more. Not that any true oil guy would care to look that up, when it is much more fun to call someone hyperbolous.

You should contact Infineum (and anyone else for that matter) and tell them that the suite of tests comprising SAE J300 are inferior for characterizing motor oil performance, and that instead they should watch Project Farm and YouTube "cold flow tests" for the real deal. Why on earth have they been futzing around with J300 when a dude with a freezer and some plastic tubes is better?

Comment of the day.

01.gif

Originally Posted by burla
Why not just look at pour points on stat sheet? Oh wait, I know, because your stuff don't pour cold, LMAO. That is plenty revealing as well. Best part of pao formulas, they are permanent performance, not temporary like your favorite oils.

That's an easy one, burla. It is because it was shown that pour point is not a reliable indicator of how oil flows to the pump pickup screen at very low temperatures, and using it as an indicator of that performance resulted in failures under some circumstances. It is precisely why ASTM D4684 was developed, to preclude these real-world failures.

People can try and spin the goofy YouTube tests as real-world but the reality is that they are anything but that.

We can certainly agree on one thing, that Project Farm tells you nothing.

And yes. Pour point is obsolete for predicting very low temperature performance of a motor oil.

In the end I would rather place my trust in the SAE professionals that conduct the stringent tests needed to qualify oils for certification than some guy on YouTube that pours cold oil out of a cylinder and proclaims a winner.

There is a big difference between oil being poured out of a cylinder and oil being pumped throughout a engine.

Is 70 year old oil any good ?
No
even if it's still good in terms of protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back