Mild P&P work on the head
Aftermarket exhaust system
Dual (stiffer than factory) valve springs
Light weight lifters
Aftermarket camshaft (autotech 270)
C2 Motorsports custom tune
Aftermarket oil to air cooler - thermostat controlled
Stock oil to water heat exchanger
80 degree C thermostat and matching fan switch (stock is 87)
I am currently running Redline 5w30 oil with a Mann oil filter
Oil temps are being checked with an aftermarket gauge and sender (VDO) with the sender installed in the oil filter flange. Therefore my temps are just after the oil pump before the stock heat exchanger and before the aftermarket oil cooler.

At the recommendation of some of the guys here, I blocked off direct air flow to the cooler because my temps were barely reaching 170 degrees. I wrapped the cooler with aluminum tape so air can flow against but not through it. Now on a 50 degree day, cruising on the highway at 70-80 mph my oil reaches 185 - 190, before being cooled. If I push the car hard I can get the oil temps up to around 200 but they don't stay there very long. (Oil cooler is working!)

Are my temps too low still? I am wondering if I should just remove the cooler. For comparision, I have an identical car that is totally stock. In the same 50 degree, 70-80 mph highway cruising, it's oil temp is around 205. If I push it the oil temps get to around 220.

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
I'd put a stock 87C thermostat back in before taking off the oil cooler. Your coolant AND oil are likely too cool. That generally increases wear significantly and it's not simply because the oil is too thick. Anti-wear additives are less reactive, blow-by lingers in the oil longer and at a greater concentration, and water vapors condense on the cylinder walls to a greater degree.

I would say the temps are ok maybe higher would be ideal. The oil temps could go higher if you keep it wot longer though you may cool down in jail. It is hypo and power is the main deal with the engine ? Try the stock thermostat. The temps may be higher in the summer

The lower temp thermostat was used because this car loved to pull timing in the 2000-3000 rpm range. It was to the point where not much ignition advance was possible. Couldn't figure it out and we got to the point we needed the thermostat change or tear the motor down. I took the $2 thermostat route and the problem was solved (or covered up ;)).

The oil cooler was installed shortly after I bought the car before it was even supercharged. I was in my "that looks neat/shiney and I don't have one yet so buy it" phase. The oil cooler may not even be neccesary.

I have been on this car very hard long enough to use up 4L water/meth mix in 80 degree weather and never saw the oil temps go over 210.

What's wrong with 175 -190 oil temps?

You are hurting cruising efficiency with that colder thermostat.
You can tune for more power with the cooler one, however.
But the advantage in tuning is only good until the thermostat opens fully.
A fully open thermostat does not know if it is a 180 or 195.

If you are relying on the knock sensor for tuning, it is a 1/2 derriered system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back