Is Mobil1 75-90 syn gear oil good for outdrives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that Mobil 1 has a syn 75w90 gear oil, generally used in automobile applications. I was wondering if this would also be a good use in an outdrive lower unit. I have a Volvo and the gear oil required is 75w90, would M-1 be a good fit? thanks.

Personally I would look for a marine grade lower unit oil to ensure if any moisture gets in your gearcase the oil can handle it( better ). I am sure you "can" use it just IMO it is not the best option. Not because it is M1 either. Just because it has been designed for automotive axles/differentials not marine lower units.

FWIW MHO

Last edited:
for some volvo drives like the dps, volvo states it should be volvo api gl5 75w90 full syntheti and in several manuals the alternative is specifically mobil1 75w90 gl5.
Im sure both mobil1 and amsoil GL5 full synth 75w90 is ok but the drives are very picky so stay on the safe side. Make also sure that your drive does not require 75w140 as some do.

The marine gear oils have higher levels of demulsifiers and metal deactivator/rust protectors with their reduced levels of sulfurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back