Is Mobil 1 advanced synthetic a full synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by pbm
'Regular' Mobil1 is a 'full synthetic' by current acceptable definition. It is an excellent oil..If longer drain intervals are your desire..Mobil1EP or AP may be more suitable.

A friend pushed his 99 Silverado to 350K doing 15-20K OCIs. The engine still ran great when sold, but he sold it for $1000 after the third trans failed. All on reg M1 5-30.

Hi Tig: I could never see myself going over 10K on an OCI and have yet to even do that (I think 8K on syn. is the most I've done so far...but I may extend to 9K and even 10K on my Escape 2.5 if UOAs bear it out)...Of all the readily available synthetics available at WM I'd feel most comfortable doing it with M1...although I'll probably also do 10K with the Castrol Edge gold 5w20 that I scored at AZs 'clearance' a while ago..

You can easily do well over 10k on your Ford 2.5 if you do mostly highway miles. I have excellent UOAs for about 12K miles on Edge EP and Valvoline Advanced Synthetic.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
TGDI/GDI Carbon and Dilution can wear down 5K oil. Lots of factors to weigh whether the oil is still in good shape, or not.

Yes but to be clear the op specified kilometers which works out to just over 3000 miles.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Plain Jane Mobil1 5w30, is 5-10% PAO, 10-20% GTL, and I assume the rest that's not disclosed on the SDS is Hydrocracked Crude.

There is also some esters in all M1 oils. All synthetic oils are a blend of base stocks which leads to a higher quality lubricant than a grp 3-4-or 5 alone.

I can't even start to fathom how many base stock combo's they have used in your 40 years … yet all of them handled 10k runs and gave solid engine performance. Something to be said right there.

Have you looked on Mobil's website?

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/products/mobil-1-5w-30/

Go to SDS to get an idea

1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED 5 - < 10%
2-PENTANOL, 4-METHYL-, HYDROGEN PHOSPHORODITHIOATE, ZINC SALT 0.1 - < 1%
DISTILLATES, HEAVY, C18-50 - BRANCHED, CYCLIC AND LINEAR 10 - < 20%
PHOSPHORODITHIOIC ACID, MIXED 0,0 BIS (1,3-DIMETHYLBUTYL AND ISO-PR)ESTERS, ZINC SALTS 0.1 - < 1%

It's got a little PAO in it, some GTL, a little esters, of what they bother to put into the SDS.

Last edited:
Am I interpreting this correctly on the sds? Less than 10% PAO, less than 1% ester, less than 1% GTL, up to 70% group lll. Is there 18% of something else maybe 8002-05-9?

the add pack is prolly not listed, + typical group III fake synthetics use + need more additives than real synthetics

Originally Posted by benjy
the add pack is prolly not listed, + typical group III fake synthetics use + need more additives than real synthetics

Again, hogwash.

The marketing person in me is seeing Mobil1 silver cap less and less relevant in the lineup, all their products are based around a use interval except for M1 silver cap. It's just an original product with a good history, but could easily be rebranded with the "Mobil super synthetic" label.

Sales numbers will tell them what to do.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Am I interpreting this correctly on the sds? Less than 10% PAO, less than 1% ester, less than 1% GTL, up to 70% group lll. Is there 18% of something else maybe 8002-05-9?

I'm pretty sure "DISTILLATES, HEAVY, C18-50 - BRANCHED, CYCLIC AND LINEAR 10 - < 20% " would mean that there is 10-20% GTL

Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by pbm
'Regular' Mobil1 is a 'full synthetic' by current acceptable definition. It is an excellent oil..If longer drain intervals are your desire..Mobil1EP or AP may be more suitable.

A friend pushed his 99 Silverado to 350K doing 15-20K OCIs. The engine still ran great when sold, but he sold it for $1000 after the third trans failed. All on reg M1 5-30.

Hi Tig: I could never see myself going over 10K on an OCI and have yet to even do that (I think 8K on syn. is the most I've done so far...but I may extend to 9K and even 10K on my Escape 2.5 if UOAs bear it out)...Of all the readily available synthetics available at WM I'd feel most comfortable doing it with M1 (your results give me confidence) although I'll probably also do 10K with the Castrol Edge gold 5w20 that I scored at AZs 'clearance' a while ago.. Did your 10K OCIs have a time limit..ie: a year?

No, I just run until I reach 10K and change oil and filter.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by pbm

Hi Tig: I could never see myself going over 10K on an OCI and have yet to even do that (I think 8K on syn. is the most I've done so far...but I may extend to 9K and even 10K on my Escape 2.5 if UOAs bear it out)...Of all the readily available synthetics available at WM I'd feel most comfortable doing it with M1...although I'll probably also do 10K with the Castrol Edge gold 5w20 that I scored at AZs 'clearance' a while ago..

You can easily do well over 10k on your Ford 2.5 if you do mostly highway miles. I have excellent UOAs for about 12K miles on Edge EP and Valvoline Advanced Synthetic.

I don't do "mostly highway miles".

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by blufeb95
Plain Jane Mobil1 5w30, is 5-10% PAO, 10-20% GTL, and I assume the rest that's not disclosed on the SDS is Hydrocracked Crude.

There is also some esters in all M1 oils. All synthetic oils are a blend of base stocks which leads to a higher quality lubricant than a grp 3-4-or 5 alone.

I can't even start to fathom how many base stock combo's they have used in your 40 years … yet all of them handled 10k runs and gave solid engine performance. Something to be said right there.

I would agree with that. M1 oils of today still perform very well at 10K OCIs.

Originally Posted by apollo18
Hey guys I picked up a regular grey bottle of Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic and I tried looking for something that says full synthetic on the packaging but I could only find "advanced synthetic"
Is this just a synthetic blend? Or what? Because I tried finding the same packaging on there website and it says full synthetic on there

Thanks

Synthetic and full synthetic mean the same thing. Sometimes they simply omit the word full.

As others explained any base oil that does not contain any Group I and Group II, except as a solvent for the detergent - inhibitor package and VII, can be sold as synthetic. Additives and VII require Group I and Group II as a solvent though. In that sense no oil is truly full synthetic.

Synthetic blend is anything that has both Group I/II and synthetic base stocks in significant amounts.

As others also explained, a long, long time ago, synthetic used to exclusively mean PAO (Group IV), but this is no longer the case. PAO is rarely used in motor oil these days because of high cost and low availability.

M1EP is only a few bucks more than M1 vanilla and well worth the cost. I understand the EP product has more Gp IV and/or esters to make for a longer lasting oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back