Is Mobil 1 advanced synthetic a full synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I picked up a regular grey bottle of Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic and I tried looking for something that says full synthetic on the packaging but I could only find "advanced synthetic"
Is this just a synthetic blend? Or what? Because I tried finding the same packaging on there website and it says full synthetic on there

Thanks

It is a group lll base oil with the possibility of group lV and/or V in the mix along with the add pack. It is considered a full synthetic in most of the world. A couple decades a ago synthetics utilized group lV and V base oils. Nowadays all of the synthetic oils available from your local mass market retailer is group lll based and calls itself synthetic. Does the job for most applications. Actual 100% lV/V synthetics are costly and usually not required for most applications and won't be found in walmart.

By US definition it is. Check out Mobil 1 ESP, IMO it's the best in their line up.

apollo18 there are numerous threads already on the definition of synthetic oil. Please avail yourself of those multiple and detailed threads.

'Regular' Mobil1 is a 'full synthetic' by current acceptable definition. It is an excellent oil..If longer drain intervals are your desire..Mobil1EP or AP may be more suitable.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Plain Jane Mobil1 5w30, is 5-10% PAO, 10-20% GTL, and I assume the rest that's not disclosed on the SDS is Hydrocracked Crude.

There is also some esters in all M1 oils. All synthetic oils are a blend of base stocks which leads to a higher quality lubricant than a grp 3-4-or 5 alone.

Originally Posted by pbm
'Regular' Mobil1 is a 'full synthetic' by current acceptable definition. It is an excellent oil..If longer drain intervals are your desire..Mobil1EP or AP may be more suitable.

A friend pushed his 99 Silverado to 350K doing 15-20K OCIs. The engine still ran great when sold, but he sold it for $1000 after the third trans failed. All on reg M1 5-30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
apollo18 there are numerous threads already on the definition of synthetic oil. Please avail yourself of those multiple and detailed threads.

Good idea, it might be time for a "sticky" for the definition of a synthetic oil.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Good idea, it might be time for a "sticky" for the definition of a synthetic oil.

Don't we already have this in the Motor Oil University section?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by demarpaint

Yes, but that section gets a fraction of the traffic the board does. That question with all the times it is asked IMO is worthy of a sticky, along with a few other frequently asked questions.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Yes, and I forgot about that:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Right on the front page.

Of course not all posters that ask really want to know the answer, but at least we should go through the exercise to point them there.

Originally Posted by apollo18
Hey guys I picked up a regular grey bottle of Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic and I tried looking for something that says full synthetic on the packaging but I could only find "advanced synthetic"
Is this just a synthetic blend? Or what? Because I tried finding the same packaging on there website and it says full synthetic on there

Thanks

What performance aspect are you looking for out of the oil?

M1 is pretty good for cold pumpabiliy at sub zero temps.

I guess you could say Castrol took Mobil1 to school on marketing "synthetic oil", it's like the marketing strategists took over when they came out with the M1 Extended Performance and now Annual Performance Oil. It seems the PAO base oils are at a decent level with these higher grade M1 synthetics but the good old silver cap M1 to me has been diluted into a Group III oil with a price point that meets walmarts expectation.

I use to use 0W40 M1 alot, it had a good add pack, and since been reformulated, I'm finding less and less of a reasons to use M1 products.

so i assume if im doing 5000km oci's, it doesnt really matter which synthetic i use? and just get the cheapest or is it beneficial to spend $10 extra for castrol edge or penzzoil platinum?

Originally Posted by apollo18
so i assume if im doing 5000km oci's, it doesnt really matter which synthetic i use? and just get the cheapest or is it beneficial to spend $10 extra for castrol edge or penzzoil platinum?

At 5000km you are barely using the oil.

Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by pbm

A friend pushed his 99 Silverado to 350K doing 15-20K OCIs. The engine still ran great when sold, but he sold it for $1000 after the third trans failed. All on reg M1 5-30.

Hi Tig: I could never see myself going over 10K on an OCI and have yet to even do that (I think 8K on syn. is the most I've done so far...but I may extend to 9K and even 10K on my Escape 2.5 if UOAs bear it out)...Of all the readily available synthetics available at WM I'd feel most comfortable doing it with M1 (your results give me confidence) although I'll probably also do 10K with the Castrol Edge gold 5w20 that I scored at AZs 'clearance' a while ago.. Did your 10K OCIs have a time limit..ie: a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back