Is Mobil 1 0w40 still one of the best all around choices?

I wonder how Delo 600 ADF would perform in a direct injection gasoline engine, it's super low SAPS ~0.4%, super low on metallic additives that foul DPFs, depending on if you can find a distributer that'll sell it to you at a reasonable price, I found a forum post somewhere when I was reading about it that someone found a distributer that would sell it to them for like $22/gal.

Which mid-saps oil on the market has some or few European approvals? kind of secondary but also not too expensive either.

I like my DI but it's not getting anything more than $5 / qt.
Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 in my Wal Mart goes for $22.
I think Pennzoil will soon bring Quaker State Euro L 5W30 and that usually goes for $18 (repackaged PP Euro L).

Unless you can get lucky to score some if NAPA ever put some on sale again, Mobil1 ESP is really expensive.
What is so special about ESP relative to FS? The FS has many European bells & whistles ... Curious how they improved it? Is it an extended oil with a very low Noack and a good dose of moly?

I haven’t been around here in a while and I’m basically running on the knowledge I remember from here a few years back. I recently went to changing the oil myself on my wife’s 2014 Edge Sport and my 2017 F150 is now out of warranty and I’ll be changing the oil myself the next time. I planned on switching from the Motorcraft 5w20 to Pennzoil Ultra 5w30, only I can’t find it anywhere locally, so I went back to my go to I’ve used in every other vehicle in the past and grabbed Mobil 1 0w40. The Edge got 0w40 today for the first time and plan to use it in the F150 since it’s readily available here it seems. Any reason not to use it? My wife has a big of a heavy foot and short trips it most of the time with a long trip typically only once a month so I’ve had my concerns about fuel dilution especially with 5w20. The Edge tends to have a rattly top end with the 5w20 which hasn’t been a concern with 5w30 and now 0w40.

I haven’t had any issues with the F150 that constitutes the change other than I prefer to only stock one oil.

Assuming you have an EcoBoost motor in the F150, I would recommend Quaker State Euro 5W-40 if you can find it in the API SP version. Lots of Walmarts still carry it in the API SN Plus formulation. Considering that an EcoBoost motor is a soot-generating machine, I highly recommend an API SP-rated motor oil. Skip Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. If you have to have Pennzoil, I would stick with their Platinum line of motor oils, it's actually better. The Ultra Platinum line is consistently being neglected, and IMHO, Pennzoil is trying to just kill it. Look at the lack of certifications and approvals, not to mention that any oil in their Ultra Platinum line above 5W-20 will shear down pretty fast. It's not all about oil viscosity, the formulation is also very important. Also, consider the fact that Motorcraft worked for you well for so long, there is no reason why it wouldn't work from now on. I used to be a thick oil guy and I thought that I always knew best, however, after I learned a bit more I realized how little I knew about motor oils. These days I don't advise anyone to make drastic changes if something works for them. Also, a motor can almost never correct a flawed engine design. For my 5.7 HEMI going to a 180F thermostat, doing a grille shutter delete, and using a bigger oil filter did more good than going to 0W-40. So now I will go back to 5W-20 on my next oil change because I want a better MPG, especially since I no longer have a hot running motor. Good luck!

I haven’t been around here in a while and I’m basically running on the knowledge I remember from here a few years back. I recently went to changing the oil myself on my wife’s 2014 Edge Sport and my 2017 F150 is now out of warranty and I’ll be changing the oil myself the next time. I planned on switching from the Motorcraft 5w20 to Pennzoil Ultra 5w30, only I can’t find it anywhere locally, so I went back to my go to I’ve used in every other vehicle in the past and grabbed Mobil 1 0w40. The Edge got 0w40 today for the first time and plan to use it in the F150 since it’s readily available here it seems. Any reason not to use it? My wife has a big of a heavy foot and short trips it most of the time with a long trip typically only once a month so I’ve had my concerns about fuel dilution especially with 5w20. The Edge tends to have a rattly top end with the 5w20 which hasn’t been a concern with 5w30 and now 0w40.

I haven’t had any issues with the F150 that constitutes the change other than I prefer to only stock one oil.
You can get Ultra 5W-30 delivered to your door for free from Walmart.com. Been doing it for years, as I can’t find it locally either.

Mobil 1 is a fine oil. I have found for some reason in the past couple years atleast in my area the vehicle brand oil ie Motorcraft is cheaper then most others so that’s what I have been using. Any quality oil of the correct weight will work just fine though.

EP is its own product line marketed for extended drains. 0W40 FS is under the vanilla M1 label, even if it’s a much more robust product.

FS is marketed for aging european vehicles and meets european specs, all of which are extended drain. porsche was running 20k ocis with A40 20 years ago
Look at the ratings of the oils.

Assuming you have an EcoBoost motor in the F150, I would recommend Quaker State Euro 5W-40 if you can find it in the API SP version. Lots of Walmarts still carry it in the API SN Plus formulation. Considering that an EcoBoost motor is a soot-generating machine, I highly recommend an API SP-rated motor oil. Skip Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. If you have to have Pennzoil, I would stick with their Platinum line of motor oils, it's actually better. The Ultra Platinum line is consistently being neglected, and IMHO, Pennzoil is trying to just kill it. Look at the lack of certifications and approvals, not to mention that any oil in their Ultra Platinum line above 5W-20 will shear down pretty fast. It's not all about oil viscosity, the formulation is also very important. Also, consider the fact that Motorcraft worked for you well for so long, there is no reason why it wouldn't work from now on. I used to be a thick oil guy and I thought that I always knew best, however, after I learned a bit more I realized how little I knew about motor oils. These days I don't advise anyone to make drastic changes if something works for them. Also, a motor can almost never correct a flawed engine design. For my 5.7 HEMI going to a 180F thermostat, doing a grille shutter delete, and using a bigger oil filter did more good than going to 0W-40. So now I will go back to 5W-20 on my next oil change because I want a better MPG, especially since I no longer have a hot running motor. Good luck!
Dude, this is supper advice.

Back