Is it to late??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never too late ! Ask your self this ..when is minumizing the wear and tear of your engine no longer neccassary?
Quick, contact Ralph Wood and get a motorguard filter on it... I have one on my enigine ( 186000) and my tranny ( 100,000) and both engine and tranny work like new.

I just installed bypass filters on the engine and trans in my van at 153k miles. Filled both with synthetic oil as well. It runs as good as new and no leaks so far!
cheers.gif

A bypass filter not only reduces wear but greatly extends your oil change interval too.

Jelly..........Its a Cummins 8.3...pre ISC. First thing I did was flush the eninge and install some Amsoil and Fleetguard Filters. On my Dodge, 5.9 Cummins I have been running 15,000 mile oil changes for the last two years. So about a three month OCI for the ol' Dodge. I have always thought about by-pass systems, but had a hard time justifying them. With the 5.9 going a million million miles with good maintenance practices it is difficult, for me anyway, to understand if it is really necessary? I do beleive in them, have never owned one, read a lot about them.

Jason

If you're gonna do extended drain intervals, then yes, I'd suggest a bypass system.

If you're just gonna run 15k intervals though, stick with a high-quality oil/filter and you'll be just fine.

Heck this engine is still NEW, 1 million miles plus is not uncommon on these engines.

I would say it's not too late to reap the benifits of by-pass filtration.

quote:

Originally posted by cumminspuller:
Well I just bought a Freightliner FL-50 with 253,000 miles on it. Runs like a champ. Is it still worth it to install a by-pass system?

Jason

It depends on what you are happy with. Covington Detroit in Nashville had two trucks with series 60 Detroits in the shop. Both has about 1 million miles on the engine. One had had the normal oil changes and needed a lot of work. One had had two oil changes and needed new rings only. The hone marks were still in the liners. The last I heard it was still hauling Pepsi Cola. It has Gulf Coast bypass submicronic filters on the lube oil and fuel.
I guy emailed me about his Peterbilt over the road truck with 1 million miles on the engine. He said the engine is using a little oil. He installed the Gulf Coast filter at 197,000.
We just got a rebuilt yard mule with a 8.3 Cummins at work. I think I will install three Motor Guard M-30s in parallel on the lube oil. I will handle the fuel, coolant and ATF. I don't do many large trucks so I am concentrating on the Motor Guards. They are the best of the small filters. I won't need to have an oil pan to change them. The old yard mule had a 8.2 Detroit with a Gulf Coast 0-1 on it. It had been leaking compression into the coolant for a couple of years. They traded it off without telling me so that I could remove the filter.
The little TP filters can clean oil better than the big filters but they don't have the capacity for the large engines unless you install them in parallel. I am finding that a lot of people would rather have the small filters and change them more often. The old Frantz 3 stackers were an awsome filter at cleaning oil. It used three rolls of TP. It was a nasty mess to change. In most cases it is better to install three or more small filters in parallel. Motor Guard recommended one for up to 12 qts, two for 12 to 24 qts and four for over 24 qts. Where it gets complicated is some little engines put more soot in the oil than some large engines.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back