Is it OK to wax a car in cold weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering, if I were in the garage and the temp there was between 30 and 40 degrees, would it be alright to wax the car? I know it would be harder work, but would there be any damage or anything like that? thanks
confused.gif

Try it in a small section and see. My first concern would be that the wax wouldn't "dry" on such a cold surface. But try it and see. Stick with a "simple" creme wax, such as "Kit".... and not something like "Super Black Magic with Teflon and premium polyolefin guard finish". Sometimes those kinds of waxes come of difficult even in good conditions.

My experience with Kit is that it is a good wax, goes on easy, comes off easy, and doesn't swirl or streak. Kit wax has been around for many, many years.

I can heat my garage up to about 75 degrees in 20 minutes and wax year around in a t-shirt and shorts. It warms up fast with a 100,000 BTU furnace running wide open.

I've waxed my car outside in 40 degree weather before and had no problems, it just takes a little bit longer for the wax to dry that's all.

Or maybe use a good spray on wax - that may be easier in the cold...

I've done it, with good results. Remember to pull the car out into daylight when you're done, to find and eliminate those tacky missed spots, easily overlooked in the garage.

I've done it, with poor results.

I expect some waxes are ok at those temperatures, and others not.

Try some EagleOne spray wax for winter use.Just wash your car rinse then before you towel dry spray wax on wet area of car then just towel dry.I have had it on two vehicles for one month now and the water is still beading up.Bought 2 bottles of the spray wax just to try for winter use.Bought it at Costco 2bottles for 3.94CDN.

This MAY be a case where the Aerospace 303 Protectant is the best product to provide some protection for the paint.

Try a Web search if interested, there's a very few reports about folks using 303 on paint with good results and no negative effects.

I've used the stuff during warmer weather but haven't had the time to try it this winter...... along with an opportunity to give a thorough washing due to the cold.

Waiting for a 40 degree day or better for a thorough wash and then apply the 303.

Since I own black cars, I always prefer to wax after washing if posssible. And I use to wash and wax the car all winter in the garage. Surprisingly, there was no problems at all. Possibly, slightly more effort in buffing, but no real problems overall in any temps. encountered. Lowest, mid to high 30's in the garage.

I wax all winter after a carwash using Nufinish and/or Meguir's NXT with no problems. My garage rarely gets below 40 degrees though. The quick detailer products also work well in winter.

above freezing is fine. i once used spray wax when it was below 40 - the stuff freezes when u spray it and when i tried to wipe it off i was wiping off frozen chunks. that i would avoid - i also discovered that my brakes were frozen the next morning. 40 or above and you should be ok

My experience has been poor with waxing below 50 degrees. It takes forever to dry. I think I left the car overnight once when it was <50F and it still didn't dry right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back