is it ok to mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well - according to most people here, M1 can be mixed because the additive packages are the same through out the range of viscosities. So when I went to change my 10w-30 out, all that was availible at Wally World was 5w-30 and 0w-40. So I bought the 5 qrt jug of 5w-30 and 2 qrts of 0-40 to thicken it up on the hot side.

Probably the worst combo I've done so far. At first the oil was perfect, but it seemed to shear down in 1000 miles. Makes the truck vibrate worse than regular 5w-30 alone. From now on I stick to what works. I'm running an AutoRX treatment in it right now, which coincidentally, has thickened up the mix to reduce the vibrations, but I will be running M1 10w-30 after the rinse. No more mixing for me.

quote:

Originally posted by crashz:
Well - according to most people here, M1 can be mixed because the additive packages are the same through out the range of viscosities. So when I went to change my 10w-30 out, all that was availible at Wally World was 5w-30 and 0w-40. So I bought the 5 qrt jug of 5w-30 and 2 qrts of 0-40 to thicken it up on the hot side.

Probably the worst combo I've done so far. At first the oil was perfect, but it seemed to shear down in 1000 miles. Makes the truck vibrate worse than regular 5w-30 alone. From now on I stick to what works. I'm running an AutoRX treatment in it right now, which coincidentally, has thickened up the mix to reduce the vibrations, but I will be running M1 10w-30 after the rinse. No more mixing for me.

Interesting thanx

I've mixed many times. And, I've never seen an oil cause vibrations.

Why do you want to mix?

My wife has a 1997 BMW 318i and I have mixed 4 quarts of 10W-30 with 1 quart of 15W-50 and this seemed to work very well. You should be able to safely mix various viscosities of Mobil 1 such as 5W-30, 10W-30, and 15W-50. I am not sure about mixing the 0W-20, 0W-30, and 0W-40 viscosities. I would not mix the 0W viscosities but I can not really say for sure that it is a bad idea.

[ October 22, 2003, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back