Is it necessary to flush all 4 brakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my car taken in for a tire rotation, and they also checked the brakes.

They said the rotors were worn down too much, so I went ahead and changed all my brakes and pads. They also said the brake fluid could stand to be flushed, but I had done that about 8 months ago or so when I replaced metal components of the brake line.

So now, I'm considering doing a fluid exchange anyway just to have some fresher fluid in there. I'm not going to pay them some 150 bucks if I can do it myself.

So when doing a brake flush, is it necessary to flush all 4 of the brakes? I could see how it would be, since the new fluid wouln't get much of a chance to mix with the old fluid in the brake lines.

But at the same time, that is 4X the hassle of removing the tire, bleeding, refilling, and putting the tire back on. Especially since I'm still sore from having replaced the brakes just last weekend. (Shut up. I know that would have been a good time to do it.
wink.gif
)

Yeah, that's what I figured, too.

It IS pretty black, though. I figured I could do sort of a half-assed flush in case I did leave some contaminants from the brake line exchange. It would also be nice for my car work log having a brake fluid exchange coincide with a brake pad and rotor replacement.

I never remove wheels to flush the brakes, on anything. It is a 20 minute job, with my wife in the driver's seat, to do all four wheels. Not that you really need to.....2 years, 30k miles are good numbers.

Thanks guys.

Come to think of it, it might have been longer than 8 months, because it was before my last spark plug change.

When I detail the engine compartments on my vehicles which is every other year, I always do a complete 4 wheel bleed. Two little details of a clean engine are new fluid in the master cylinder reservoir and no scum inside your radiator overflow tank. Like 4wheeldog says; its easy to do and not that time consuming. Some cars its easier to access the bleed ports if you remove the wheels; but how hard is that really to do?

Originally Posted By: OpenClose

It IS pretty black, though. I figured I could do sort of a half-assed flush in case I did leave some contaminants from the brake line exchange. It would also be nice for my car work log having a brake fluid exchange coincide with a brake pad and rotor replacement.

Oil is black again after only 8 months? Hopefully what's in the reservoir is still golden colored. If there is black fluid, it might only be a tiny amount that sits in the brake cylinders. Since you just did it, should still be fine. I bled the brakes for the 1st time on my 2002 last year...13 year old fluid. Even what first came out of the brake lines wasn't really black...just a bid grayish/green.

So they said the rotors were worn too much so the rotors and pads were changed by them or you? Did they use a caliper or micrometer and compare against the minimum thickness stamped on the rotor.

In most cases a rotor is replaced because its surfaces are gouged and having the rotor cut would bring the rotor below the minimum thickness. The rotor can be worn so much that it needs replacing, but that does not happen too often.

It is pretty black, though. I figured I could do sort of a half-assed flush in case I did leave some contaminants from the brake line exchange. It would also be nice for my car work log having a brake fluid exchange coincide with a brake pad and rotor replacement.

If brake fluid isn't golden clear I flush all 4 wheels.

Go ahead and bleed about 4 ounces out of each caliper, or until fresh fluid starts coming through. That way you know it's got fresh fluid in it. I always bleed the brakes whenever changing pads. I don't push the pistons back into the caliper until I have bled it, so I don't push glop back into the brake system.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

It is pretty black, though. I figured I could do sort of a half-assed flush in case I did leave some contaminants from the brake line exchange. It would also be nice for my car work log having a brake fluid exchange coincide with a brake pad and rotor replacement.

If brake fluid isn't golden clear I flush all 4 wheels.

This, brake fluid is cheap and changing it will not hurt anything if done properly.

I'll check again when my car gets back from the shop. (I was rear-ended last week)

But last I remember, it is really quite black. So I take it this is a fluid that shouldn't change color too much. Probably DID contaminate it during the line change, or maybe it wasn't a complete flush, it's been a while, and I didn't record everything we did. Normally I record this kind of stuff, but this time I was just focused being able to get to work without dying.

If it is something I can do without taking the tires off, that would be great. We have a jack, but my dad insists on not bothering with jack stands. Took a whole day to change the brakes.

Last edited:
We have a jack, but my dad insists on not bothering with jack stands.

Sounds like your dad has a death wish. Always use jack stands unless you're doing an emergency tire change.

We have a jack, but my dad insists on not bothering with jack stands. Took a whole day to change the brakes.

Don't take safety advice from your dad.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Go ahead and bleed about 4 ounces out of each caliper, or until fresh fluid starts coming through. That way you know it's got fresh fluid in it. I always bleed the brakes whenever changing pads. I don't push the pistons back into the caliper until I have bled it, so I don't push glop back into the brake system.

When doing a brake job I usually crack the bleeder and force fluid out of the system when pushing the caliper piston back in. Then I do a quick purge of the lines on the brakes I'm working on from the master cylinder reservoir. I don't do a brake flush maintenance on it's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back