Is it harmful to use a PHEV without charging it often?

How is your electric so expensive? Are you charging at public chargers only?
I was wondering the same thing. From my calculations in the last few months electricity is much cheaper. Although rates keep going up and 40mpgs in my cheap Corolla is hard to beat until gas gets a lot more expensive.

I was wondering the same thing. From my calculations in the last few months electricity is much cheaper. Although rates keep going up and 40mpgs in my cheap Corolla is hard to beat until gas gets a lot more expensive.

We basically only home charge and it's my wife's daily which is mostly short trips, but I was filling up her Ford Edge for $40-$50 a pop every 2 weeks. Our power bill went up by maybe $15 a month. That is an extreme example though, the Edge was horribly inefficient with short trips and even compared to my GTI the larger Tesla walks all over it in efficiency cost per mile. Makes me want to buy a second one. I fill the GTI as much as 6 times a month so it would be a considerable savings in cost to operate. I just have to factor in initial purchase price. It's close to break even really which just isn't quite enough to push me to buy now.

Back