Is it a good idea to replace rear brake drums WITHOUT replacing the brake shoe pads?

Now, why would someone want to do that? Here's the reason: the brake drums are realllllly ugly and full of nasty rust, HOWEVER they work great. So there's no functional reason to replace them at this time, setting the parking brake locks them up real tight. So they work great but they're just real ugly. I got aftermarket wheels with tiny spokes which allows you to see the drums easily, and these drums in the rear are an eye sore, though I doubt anyone except myself has noticed (normal people usually don't notice these things.)

So the question is: will replacing just the brake drums while leaving the old shoes in cause problems? I can imagine that the brake shoes might have form a kind of 'aligning' with the old drums and the new ones could be less effective, at least initially until they align together over time.

So why not just replace the shoes? I did a shoe replacement job once and it was a real pain to be honest.. I want to at least postpone it for a while.

If replacing the drums will reduce its functionality, I think I can wait until its time to replace drums and shoes together.

Yeah, replacing brake shoes is scary! If you're lucky, Bendix makes pre-assembled shoes for your car. What kind of car do you have? :unsure:

Coated drums are awesome

I would just refinish the drums you have on there.

New drums don't stay new looking for long unless you get pricey coated ones.

At the least and if there’s still meat left, give the drums a run on a lathe. If you’re OCD about cosmetics on the drum surface(exterior of course) there’s nothing a can of high-temp spray paint(after knocking the rust off and if need be, acid prep) can’t fix.

aftermarket drums aren’t on the same level as OEM.

Last edited:
If the braking surfaces are still good, leave them alone for now. Just because they are rusty on the outside that will not affect braking performance. I would not change the drums without replacing the shoes. The shoes will need to be arc ground so you might as well replace them.

Now, why would someone want to do that? Here's the reason: the brake drums are realllllly ugly and full of nasty rust, HOWEVER they work great. So there's no functional reason to replace them at this time, setting the parking brake locks them up real tight. So they work great but they're just real ugly. I got aftermarket wheels with tiny spokes which allows you to see the drums easily, and these drums in the rear are an eye sore, though I doubt anyone except myself has noticed (normal people usually don't notice these things.)

So the question is: will replacing just the brake drums while leaving the old shoes in cause problems? I can imagine that the brake shoes might have form a kind of 'aligning' with the old drums and the new ones could be less effective, at least initially until they align together over time.

So why not just replace the shoes? I did a shoe replacement job once and it was a real pain to be honest.. I want to at least postpone it for a while.

If replacing the drums will reduce its functionality, I think I can wait until its time to replace drums and shoes together.

Are you calling me abnormal? Can't walk past a car without noticing the brake condition and/or tyre degradation.

Shoe replacement is certainly more involving than pads, but once you got the hang of it can be done quickly and easily.

Can you adjust the shoes back? some cars don't allow this and you will destroy the shoes if you attempt to remove the drum

Are you calling me abnormal? Can't walk past a car without noticing the brake condition and/or tyre degradation.

Shoe replacement is certainly more involving than pads, but once you got the hang of it can be done quickly and easily.

Can you adjust the shoes back? some cars don't allow this and you will destroy the shoes if you attempt to remove the drum
There's definitely a spinning wheel adjuster that you can use a flathead screw driver to push and spin, so I'm sure I can get the brake shoes to make contact with the new rust-free Centric brake drums.

The question is: will OLD WEAR PATTERN render these brakes less effective.

There's definitely a spinning wheel adjuster that you can use a flathead screw driver to push and spin, so I'm sure I can get the brake shoes to make contact with the new rust-free Centric brake drums.

The question is: will OLD WEAR PATTERN render these brakes less effective.

How long is a piece of string?

Depends how far the pads and old drums are worn.

Back