Is graffiti a western cultural thing?

Dogs practice a canine form of graffiti 'art' also.

1688216379076.jpg

courtesy Family Handiman

I think it looks low class and it’s an eye sore.

A sign of immaturity for a person to spray paint something that is NOT their property.
I 100% agree. Can't stand "graffilthy". These so-called "artists" have no right to deface public/private property unless they have permission.

Trash. If your hood is tagged or you somehow like graffiti it conveys a low class image.
Next topic, tattoos. Those you have had commissioned by a renowned skin artist vs those your buddies have put on your falling-drunk behind as a joke during your trip to Thailand.
BTW Cave art was not necessarily graffiti nor is the purposeful art paintings on buildings.
Don't put your ugly horses on my cave wall. Get your own cave!

Graffiti can be anything from vandalism to art but unless commissioned and put up legally, graffiti always has an element of vandalism no matter how artistic and how pleasing it may be. If a famous artist were to put the most beautiful graffiti on my garage door without permission it may well be art but it would still be vandalism. Art and vandalism are not mutually exclusive. However, maladroitness and vandalism frequently go hand in hand.

How many of you have ever left a 'Kilroy was here' behind? When we took over and occupied our "enemy's" treehouse ca 1986 I sure did. Blatantly carved it in there for good with cold steel. Wipe that off! 🤣

I agree but some of it is amazing. Too bad they won't get a job painting things people want them to.
Many have become accomplished and recognized artists over the years. Banksy comes quickly to mind, as does Darryl McCray, aka Cornbread, Chris Ellis, SandraFabara from Ecuador and recently living in NYC, and who has also been featured in several films including Wild Style. Her work has been exhibited in several museums including the Whitney Museum, The Metropolitan Museum New York City, the Brooklyn Museum and a museum in the Netherlands, the name of which I can't recall right now. And let's not forget Jean-Michel Basquiat. These are but a few that come to mind.

I recall having a discussion with an art instructor at a college in my area as to whether the cave paintings at Lascaux were art or graffiti. How might contemporary graffiti/artwork be looked upon decades from now?

Murals are a way yo hide the decaying neighborhoods.

Only a tiny proportion of the graffiti garbage we see on the public spaces can be considered art. "Works" by Banksy are famous because we are unable to create art so have to co-opt his protest and start making money off of it while ignoring what he is trying to say.

The locals in Jupiter farms are starting this crap. I have cleaned it off once already, using MEK. Thinking of spraying silicone on the signs to reduce the spray paints ability to stick

Not really a Western thing, but definitely more tolerant of it in the West than the East due to the severity of punishment and whether the parents are on the hook for the damage.

I remember in the 90s a US teen was whipped in Singapore, and Bill Clinton had to step in to ask for reduced sentence (I forgot how many lashes originally, but he received at least 1 lash as it wouldn't be fair to any other non US criminals). Most people would rather receive jail sentences than getting whipped.

The locals in Jupiter farms are starting this crap. I have cleaned it off once already, using MEK. Thinking of spraying silicone on the signs to reduce the spray paints ability to stick

That's what I did here. We had some yahoos tagging stop signs and traffic boxes, so I got WD-40 and hosed all the signs, and traffic boxes (stainless steel). Even had a police officer stop and ask me what I was doing.

The graffiti stopped after that. I did have to do it a few times though (about 3 - 4 weeks between applications), but it worked like a champ.

Back