Is graffiti a western cultural thing?

I had to drive through Portland, OR today and was amazed that every square inch of the freeway walls, polls, bridges, and signs were covered in graffiti. Some of it was mouth opening amazing. How do you spray paint letters that are 30 feet tall across a building or sound barrier wall? Some of these graffiti are works of art and the person must of spent 8 hours doing it. How are they not caught? I been to Europe plenty of times and every city has graffiti. I don’t remember seeing it in Japan and Thailand.

I definitely consider it "art" and some of the people doing it have incredible skills. Some building owners hire graffiti artists to paint walls. I've seen graffiti in France and Belgium as well.

This storage unit facility is in an area we used to live and always has cool work: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.747...Y_uKJQVWl-agiwEA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu. You can do Street View down the bike path to see the work.

I think it looks low class and it’s an eye sore.

A sign of immaturity for a person to spray paint something that is NOT their property.
Its progressed to murals here. People hire it done. I think these are well done and I like them.

Compared to current ideas of protest, painting a colorful name on an bland wall seems pretty mundane.

1688173044108.jpg

1688173062889.jpg

I had to drive through Portland, OR today and was amazed that every square inch of the freeway walls, polls, bridges, and signs were covered in graffiti. Some of it was mouth opening amazing. How do you spray paint letters that are 30 feet tall across a building or sound barrier wall? Some of these graffiti are works of art and the person must of spent 8 hours doing it. How are they not caught? I been to Europe plenty of times and every city has graffiti. I don’t remember seeing it in Japan and Thailand.
They're called taggers. They learn to spray paint upside down. In many cases from what I've heard from the local sherriff's office they essentially hang someone over a bridge hold on for dear life and tag. Then off to the next spot.

Last edited:
I think it looks low class and it’s an eye sore.

A sign of immaturity for a person to spray paint something that is NOT their property.
Agree. “Tagging” too. One time I told some lmk kids in the NYC subway to gouge out their eyes with the sharp tool they were using to tag one of the signs.

Anything can be considered “art”. Pooping in a jar has been called art. It doesn’t make it so. I find it horrible. I see it in the US and Europe.

Last edited:
I had to drive through Portland, OR today and was amazed that every square inch of the freeway walls, polls, bridges, and signs were covered in graffiti. Some of it was mouth opening amazing.

What is even more amazing is how badly that city has deteriorated. Hopefully you just passed through and avoided the zombies?

I think graffiti is just another form of pollution.

Graffiti is pretty common in Japan. But it gets taken care of quickly, while in the US it might stick around a while.

Back