Is GC Thicker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok GC mavens, I have a '04 Acura TL (270hp, 11to1 compression)
that I use Amsoil 0W-30 in. Car seems very happy. However as a Honda product it calls for 5W-20 oil. After reading the many
posts on GC I may want to try the GC 5W-20 in the winter.

Using the 0W-30 I feel I get better startup flow and 30wt protection. However as "thin" seems to be in and if
GC oils tend to run thicker what says you folks on my switching
over to the GC 5W-20?

I also have been considering (gasp) Red Line 5W-20
Craig

quote:

Originally posted by Craig:
Ok GC mavens, I have a '04 Acura TL (270hp, 11to1 compression)
that I use Amsoil 0W-30 in. Car seems very happy. However as a Honda product it calls for 5W-20 oil. After reading the many
posts on GC I may want to try the GC 5W-20 in the winter.

Using the 0W-30 I feel I get better startup flow and 30wt protection. However as "thin" seems to be in and if
GC oils tend to run thicker what says you folks on my switching
over to the GC 5W-20?

I also have been considering (gasp) Red Line 5W-20
Craig

There isn't a GC 5w20 weight only 0w30. So I'm not to sure how to answer your question
dunno.gif

I have no idea what wts GC comes in and assumed they marketed
a 5w-20. I guess as there is probably no market for this wt in Europe I can see where they would not have a product made there in that wt. It seems here on this board that the German blended product is held in higher esteem than the American blend so I
thought I would ask.

I will either stick with the Amsoil or try the Red LIne. Can't go wrong either way.
Thanks guys,
Craig

The only Castrol Syntec grade imported from Germany is 0w-30, and that is what we call GC.

There's also Castrol 5w-40 imported from Belgium, and that is generally referred to as BC.

This forum needs a FAQ.
smile.gif

Craig,

I would stick with the Amsoil S2K in the Acura. I believe that the "thicker" GC 0w-30 12.2 centistokes at 100 deg C would lower your fuel economy. Since Honda is spec'ing 5w-20, going thinner make more sense to me. Now if you were a Nissan/Infiniti v6 owner, I would opt for the GC since these engines seem to prefer thicker 30 weight oils.

I was also thinking of trying the GC and still might, but the RL 5w-20 is very appealing. GC would be fine in a Acura/Honda but probably not the most ideal choice being it is a bit thick. S2k would work well.

Hi Buster did you not to long ago have a Dodge Ram pickup just wondering how the mpg was , and why you got rid of it if you did .

drums57,

About 2 months prior to selling the truck I read some news stories about gas prices really going up. My plans to move closer to my job changed and the guy I car pooled with quit. On top of that, the Hemi NEVER saw close to 17mpg at 70 + mph. At 55mph it hit that sometimes. Just too costly.

As I've been happy with the S2K Amsoil, I will probably stick with it.
As Buster said, the RL 5W-20 is appealing.

Checked with Amsoil and the HTHS of S2K is 3.3.
Craig

Buster et al:

I have a 2004 TL, and did a GC "Green" change out recently just for the fun of it, and o be part of the great GC Cult.

So far, no sluggishness, and by some very unscientific, but consistent (same 20 mile commute, same speed on autopilot)technique, I have seen a lsight rise in fuel economy.

While I have a lot of respect for Honda Eng'g, and the 5w20's have posted well, I will see how my UOA for this batch of oil does against my 6k base line. I have been using MC and Havoline 5w20 minoils, and also LE 8130.

Buster: I wrote you a PM about your RL question - skinny is that while I was an early adopter of RL in the early 1980's and am listed as a dealer to this day, I am not sold on their effectivenes sin all engines, their QC, and that their "old school" formulations are the best for "new school" engines. On paper, they should "kill" everything else - but they do not. Esters have their own peculiarities, pro and con, but i wonder what is happening at the nanotribologic level, with Vanderwaal forces, etc. with esters in IC engines. We have many healthy debates among the gearheads at the R&D/Eng'g Center where my Team provides Lab IT services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back