Is G-Oil worth hoarding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, not exactly hoarding, because it will get used. I currently have 43 qts of G-Oil Ultimate Biodegradable 5W-30 (full syn SM formula), which I will start using in the Burb at the next oil change and will get UOAs to determine an appropriate OCI, starting with a full OLM run.

About two months ago, a Walmart 40+ miles from me had 25-30 qts of it and it had been on clearance since May, but the TLE manager was unwilling to go lower than $19 per 5 qt jug and that was not a good enough deal for me to pounce in light of the size of my current stash.

I will be in that area again today, so if I can get him down to $10 per jug, is it worth biting on? I will shoot for $1 per quart to take the entire lot off his hands, but I doubt he will go that low. If I do take it all, it will be used in both the Burb and GP.

I dunno, with all the weird news around their supposed bankruptcy and inability to turn a profit, I have to wonder how long they'll be around for.

It's a good oil, but not so far ahead of everyone else's that I'd stash it. 43 quarts is a lot.

I did the exact same thing thing you are speaking of, i.e. waiting for a manager to break on he price and pounced when he went half off which brought the 5 qt jugs down to just over $10. I doubt $1/quart as well. $2/quart is not bad for a quality green syn. Inexpensive oil is inexpensive oil regardless of the company's standing. Taking the entire lot will help your case for sure! Good luck!

I mean, its not the best oil in the world but @ $2-3 a quart, its a decent deal for any synthetic oil.

I grabbed 6 jugs of the oil for free during the promotions but certainly wouldn't pay anywhere close to retail for it.

My Walmart also has some on clearance for a while now but @ $21 it ain't even close to being worth it for me...

Let us know if you score more oil. You can never have too much

Originally Posted By: dparm
I dunno, with all the weird news around their supposed bankruptcy and inability to turn a profit, I have to wonder how long they'll be around for.

It's a good oil, but not so far ahead of everyone else's that I'd stash it. 43 quarts is a lot.

Based on their site, it looks like they are doing just fine, if they have new oils coming soon!

Get G-Oil! a>

Long term availability is a moot point, as the stuff I have and am looking at getting is their old formula and a stash of 70 qts will last me 6+ years, assuming two oil changes per year per vehicle following the OLMs.

Originally Posted By: Artem

Based on their site, it looks like they are doing just fine, if they have new oils coming soon!

Get G-Oil! a>

A cab company in CSI:NY used G-Oil, so if the Mobil1 taxi torture test advertising is true, it must be good! (At least for fictitious TV cab fleets.)

Obviously only one attribute, but the NOACK on this oil is pretty good. It will be interesting to see how G-Oil fares in the long run.

I prefer room in my garage to move around and enjoy projects to be much more valuable than hoarding any oil bargains.

When I had a "stash" I was always trying to use it up quickly since it was quickly either outdated (say SC after SD SE and SF came out) wrong for my newer vehicles.....and new bargains keep coming along, so why stash?

Currently I have two Jugs (5qts each Mobil 1 0W20), both will be used in the next oil change for our Sienna and Corolla.

Incidentally, since I have no other oil around except 0W20...our old Briggs and Stratton lawn mower has been using it for years. Went out on Dec 5 to mulch some leaves (about 10f above) dang it pulled and started easy!

fsskier

I'd buy them out at 2 bucks a quart.

I wish the company the best, hopefully their other business lines will keep them afloat. But at 26 bucks a jug you can have pretty much any oil at Walmart including M1 EP or Pennzoil Ultra... in a variety of weights.

Wally world near me has it( dark green btl, full syn, 5w30) for $21 per 5 qrt jug.. I had it in the last 2 or 3 changes and it seemed ok.. There was a UOA here at 10k and the guy got great results... It must have been the fill , bio syn cause the newer advanced syn was not out yet.

I stopped in, they had 11 jugs and 3 single quart bottles. The jugs were marked as clearance for $21, the singles as $5, and the oldest clearance tag was dated March 2013. When I asked if they could go lower on the price, the TLE manager said no, so he still has 58 quarts of non-selling product taking up room on his shelves! More his loss than mine as I only went 5 minutes out of my way to give it a shot.

Just depends upon what you want to pay. Seems to be a good oil at the $20 price point. I have enough oil in my stash right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back