Is ESATA history

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a HP laptop that has ESATA that I use to connect to a RAID disk enclosure. Obviously very fast. The enclosure supports ESATA and USB 2.0.

Now there is USB 3.0 and soon 3.1. I do not see many laptops saying they support ESATA.

I work from home for a large financial services corporation in NYC and there are points in time I cannot afford for my laptop to be down.

So I am considering a backup. The laptop I have now is a HP Pavilion dv6-3210us. I do not need a lot of power as for work I just use CITRIX into a IWIN machine in Brooklyn.

So I either buy a simple $200 or $300 laptop as a backup or a laptop better than my current laptop and use current on as a backup.

I want to always backup my primary laptop and thus am looking at ESATA for possible next laptop.

If you are only looking backing up your data then USB3.0 would work fine. It is plenty fast for that. If your had a lot of USB devices all running at once pushing data around you would see a decrease in throughput vs esata since esata isn't a shared bus. How much data are you pushing around? What level RAID are you running?

I am running RAID 1, but the smarts for RAID are in the enclosure, the laptop just sees a single harddrive.

Going to USB 3.0 would mean a new RAID enclosure but I could reuse the two actual drives.

I believe ESATA would be better than USB 3.0 for transfer to a disk. USB 3.0 has many issues with its bulk transfer mode (which is used going to disk) and does not come near its rated speed. ESATA being made for disk does better at attaining its rated speed. But few laptops come with ESATA.

Also if you are running Citrix there has to be a massive data choke running across the internet if data stored locally or am I missing something(probably am
smile.gif
! )

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Also if you are running Citrix there has to be a massive data choke running across the internet if data stored locally or am I missing something(probably am
smile.gif
! )

All the work for my job is done on an IWIN machine which I use CITRIX to access. I have Fairpoint DSL, which is faster than dialup, but not much.

USB3 provides enough power to run a small HDD, while ESATA doesn't.

Yeah, I found it tough to find a decent price ESATA JBOD enclosure, went with USB3. It's storage, I didn't need the last couple percent performance. (If I needed the performance I'd do SAS, but the price jumps dramatically.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back