Is Discount Tire Strict About Speed Ratings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: steveh
I was told at Walmart, I could bring in the rims off the car and they could mount tires with a lower speed rating.
that's correct....that's the only way they will mount a lower load or speed rated tire...simply they don't wanna be liable for putting S rated tires o
Where a Z or W is recommended. The kicker is that the owner manual likely does not mention tire speed ratings....but your door placard does...

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
...........But there is a way around this - install them yourself............

You're not serious about this are you? 99.9% of us don't have a tire mounting machine in our garages.

Maybe it wasn't obvious, but I meant bring the tire and wheel assemblies in separately - that is not mounted on a vehicle.

Last edited:
Yes, that's the one. I've never used it for low profile tires, so someone else will need to comment.

A couple of caveats:
- it's a workout to change tires with this unit
- this setup will mar aluminum rims

It's great for setting up spare tires. No need to pay the shop $10 to mount a $5 tire.

No problem having the local DT put T-speed rated tires on my turbo Volvo. I was trying for a less harsh ride. It worked somewhat. I know that the H tires are better tires, but the T's did OK.

luckily.... mine only has an H-speed rating
05d9cb11.jpg

but have W-rated Kumho ECSTA Platinum LX tires on it

Last edited:
RE: Harbor freight tire changer and video...

That would be a lot easier with the changer mounted to the floor or something.

Something a little nicer if you have many tires to change.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/

(yes it will change car tires.)

Many years ago I had a set of BBS wheels from Tire Rack which I was having some issues with. Since I was going to be in the area Tire Rack arranged for me to take the car by BBS (USA) and let them have a look.

Guess how thy changed tires/wheels? Yep something that looked an awful lot like the Harbor Freight tire changer (but with very nice nylon tools).

Excellent service BTW from birth BBS and Tire Rack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back