Is Castrol 5w40 a Group III oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that the Castrol 5w40 is usually from Belgium. Is this a Group III oil? What about the US-sourced stuff, is that even available?

I need a good rinse oil for the AutoRX cycle in my Saab 9-5, and this one meets the ACEA A3/B3 spec. I am using Kendall 5w40 right now for the cleaning phase, but the local tire place that uses Kendall oil has such an *sshole of a manager that I don't want to go back for the rinse phase oil change.

I'd just use Rotella T Syn 5w-40.

It's only going to be in there for a short while. Don't worry if it's not specified as meeting the specs. Rotella is a great product

It's a matter of availability. The nearest Walmart for the Rotella is a 45-min round trip from work, and the Castrol is sold in-town at an Autozone.

Most people would say (guess) the Syntec 5w-40 is likely a group III. I haven't seen any of the Belgium 5w-40 around here lately, it all says made in the US.

I picked up 4 qts of the Made in USA oil. Double-checking the MSDS sheet from Castrol - it says "highly refined base oil". Group III it is :)

After the rinse I'll be switching back to synthetics, probably Redline 5w40 or the new Royal Purple 5w40, depending on what I can purchase locally.

The Castrol Syntec 5W40 meets a wide range of European specs-even VW's 505.00 diesel spec. I use it in in my VW 1.8T.

Last edited:
I am very interested in the Castrol 5W-40, but I can't find any spec sheets that give the Viscosity Index, Noack Volatility, HTHS, and Total Base Number. These are extremely important, make or break specs, especially Noack Volatililty. Does anyone know of any place where these specs are given as they are not on their web site?

I've seen the specs but it's been a while. From what I remember, the viscosity index was 175, HTHS was 3.6 and TBN was like 10.5. Don't remember anything about the Noack, but the flash point was 400f. I'm running it in my VW right now and it's very smooth. I'll probably get a uoa in a month or so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back