Is Amsoil SVG worth it

Did you take an oil sample and get an insolubles test and an ISO particle count? Visual tests do not tell you the condition of an oil, and without these two tests you have no data with which to claim the Amsoil filter didn’t do its job. There are several people here who have gotten particle counts (along with the ISO4548-12 test results) that show Amsoil sells very good filters in the EaO line.
No. But the oil was far filthier than any oil I have ever removed from any car I owned. Don't need oil analysis to prove it, you can see it when it poured.

The Ford/Sterling 10.5" diff is a very stout unit and not prone to early failures unless totally abused and neglected.

Just about any GL -5 will work, but you can improve your expectations by using a performance-standard approved lube. I believe performance standards are more important than content standards. What's in the bottle is not as important as how it performs in the severe testing. There's a slew of lubes that are approved to the very stringent performance standard here:
On that page, use the "LRI QPL" (lubricant review institute - qualified product list) link.
Most of them are syns, but there are actually some "conventional" lubes that pass the very strict standard.

Valvoline has many products that are approved; among the are several syns from their line-up, as well as some dino lubes.

I don't see Amsoil on the approved list. That does not, in any way, mean it would not pass the test. It means they choose not to pay the cost of approval testing. Whether they would pass or not is total conjecture on anyone's part.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter. It came out thick as tar, and I'm not using a 25,000 mile protocol. Period.
I didn’t suggest you run 25k OCI, because there are few GDI engines these days that run clean enough and have a large enough sump to have enough residual TBN to protect auto engines at 25k. This is the perfect place to start conservative and use UOAs to see when the oil has reached its limit of protection in your engine’s specific case.

But synthetic, wire backed filters of today have shown plenty of examples where they’ve gone 25k+ without any distress.

I didn’t suggest you run 25k OCI, because there are few GDI engines these days that run clean enough and have a large enough sump to have enough residual TBN to protect auto engines at 25k. This is the perfect place to start conservative and use UOAs to see when the oil has reached its limit of protection in your engine’s specific case.

But synthetic, wire backed filters of today have shown plenty of examples where they’ve gone 25k+ without any distress.
You know what? I could care less about 25K oil changes. I don't mind spending another half hour for 5000 mile oil changes. That way, I know my engine isn't jammed up with crud. Enjoy your Super Bowl.

The buying hassle is not something I want to deal with on Amsoil. They are excellent products though. I went with Triax brand axle lube for my f350.

So while I believe Amsoil SVG gear oils are top notch I am beginning to wonder if they are worth the extra cost.

Had the rear diff gear oil changed in my F250 recently. The Indy shop guy said it was dark and needed to be changed. Front diff was changed also but he said it was not dark like the rear diff. I am not in 4WD mode very often.

The rear diff gear oil (Amsoil SVG) had 53K miles on it. Very minor amount of towing and only 50 miles with my boat on a trailer (9000 lbs) and seldom anything in the pickup bed. So I would not consider it severe use.

I am thinking Valvoline full synthetic would do as good a job for less cost than Amsoil SVG.

I would have expected the Amsoil SVG to go 100K miles before it looked dark.
I think it is worth it and the one thing that I have seen in action is that it retains viscosity better than other oils. The color test does not say much and I would think that short of contamination, it would have easily made 100K.

I towed heavy in my 2010 F-150 FX4 with a 9.75" rear axle and after 80K miles the Amsoil had retained 94% of it viscosity versus Motorcraft retaining 89% of viscosity at 56K miles. The Amsoil had a TAN reading of 4.3 versus a virgin TAN of 3.1 so still very healthy with many miles of life left (I traded it at 160K miles for the 2015 PSD I had).

While I am somewhat skeptical of Amsoil engine oil and transmission fluids, I can say that I believe their gear oil is arguably one of the best on the market. It is also not overpriced like other boutique oils and the extra cost is offset given the typical life of it.

As an aside, when was the oil first changed? I assume the Amsoil was the second change?

I think it is worth it and the one thing that I have seen in action is that it retains viscosity better than other oils. The color test does not say much and I would think that short of contamination, it would have easily made 100K.

I towed heavy in my 2010 F-150 FX4 with a 9.75" rear axle and after 80K miles the Amsoil had retained 94% of it viscosity versus Motorcraft retaining 89% of viscosity at 56K miles. The Amsoil had a TAN reading of 4.3 versus a virgin TAN of 3.1 so still very healthy with many miles of life left (I traded it at 160K miles for the 2015 PSD I had).

While I am somewhat skeptical of Amsoil engine oil and transmission fluids, I can say that I believe their gear oil is arguably one of the best on the market. It is also not overpriced like other boutique oils and the extra cost is offset given the typical life of it.

As an aside, when was the oil first changed? I assume the Amsoil was the second change?
Correct. The first change to Amsoil was around 60K.

Correct. The first change to Amsoil was around 60K.
Copy that. It would have been good to have a UOA just to see what the health of the oil was. I think the axle in your truck is ELD and therefore does not have any clutch packs to add material to the oil so that would not have contributed the oil color.

Hard to say either way, but I would doubt that SVG would be used up at 50K miles especially with the "light duty" the axle is seeing. With that said, I switched from SVG to Valvoline in my Wrangler due to re-gearing it twice and not enough miles have happened between the re-gearing to make sense to use SVG. The Valvoline seems to be working just fine, but I am not doing any long OCIs with it either.

color is not an indicator of much, other than contaminents in the oil as in suspension, as i understand, which is an indicator of the oil performing one of its jobs.

I have performed some temperature related observations with Amsoil, and have noted no difference in diff oil temp, under the same conditions. I used to think that it was good, but not that good. I just assume use a good brand and change it regularly.

Back