is amsoil severe gear PAO and ester or is it completely unknown?

alot of members on here are saying that amsoil severe gear and redline gear oil are the best gear oils to use.
i know that redline is "Our synthetic lubricants use a PAO and ester blend base stock."

i wanted to ask about amsoil. do they release that info or is it proprietry?

if so, then how do we know if we are actually getting good product or something as good as redline if they dont tell us?

thanks

It's proprietary. It is likely a mixture of synthetic base oils which would include III/IV and V.

You don't. I've called and asked and was basically told that the exact chemistry is only known by a select few at Amsoil and that all that matters is the results and protection the product provides. I'm not slamming Amsoil as I believe they make great products and use a few of them. I do prefer a company to be more open to the customer so you can pick what you want to spend your money on with data behind it.

You don't. I've called and asked and was basically told that the exact chemistry is only known by a select few at Amsoil and that all that matters is the results and protection the product provides. I'm not slamming Amsoil as I believe they make great products and use a few of them. I do prefer a company to be more open to the customer so you can pick what you want to spend your money on with data behind it.

Agree completely but that also has to be weighed and balanced against the company's right to protect its IP and trade secrets too

I do prefer a company to be more open to the customer so you can pick what you want to spend your money on with data behind it.

I agree with that preference. Do you use Schaeffer oils, then? They provide FAR more test data than everyone else combined.

Is it worth the extra money for a 17 year old Hummer?

I think only you can answer that, I am assuming you are referring to use for your Hummer? These are questions that one has to ponder when they own a vehicle that is not valuable on the market in order to consider cost analysis compared to the value of the vehicle. I always ask myself "what would it cost to replace this vehicle with a comparable newer/used vehicle?" Which tends to sway me towards investing a little more to prolong the use of an older used vehicle.

Apollo,

I use amsoil and have for a long time. My experience is anecdotal, but I used a number of syn gear lubes before going to amsoil. In particular I had a specific Jeep GC that for whatever reason was hard on oil and seemed to thin out pretty good every 20k, based on noise and drain observations. These axles were known for poor casing alignment. I went to amsoil and it never started to whimper again while I had it.

the one old days I remember on redline is that they bias more towards a more performance-oriented lubricant but with less additives for long term stability. This is going by old info, but for that reason I’ve stayed with amsoil. I’ve used it in tow vehicles and every AT that’s been maintained for our family and find it worth the extra cost. I’ve had AT regrets with other brands, including then well-praised max life.

for longevity, my vote goes to amsoil.

good luck

alot of members on here are saying that amsoil severe gear and redline gear oil are the best gear oils to use.
i know that redline is "Our synthetic lubricants use a PAO and ester blend base stock."
i wanted to ask about amsoil. do they release that info or is it proprietry?
if so, then how do we know if we are actually getting good product or something as good as redline if they dont tell us?
thanks

Amsoil built its reputation on premium quality synthetic lubricants. People get really hung up on base oils. What really matters is the performance of the finished lubricant, including all the additives and whatnot. Generally, group IV and V base oils are preferred over Group III, but it depends on the application and type of service. Just because an oil has a "better" base stock does not always mean it will work better in your application. Some people believe an oil is only good if it's PAO or Ester base stock. LOL

^ this

I agree with that preference. Do you use Schaeffer oils, then? They provide FAR more test data than everyone else combined.
I do. I use Schaeffer oil in my vehicle and Amsoil in my wife’s. I also use Schaeffer LV trans fluid, 75W140 gear oil and Amsoil saber 2 stroke oil. I like lots of products. I would probably exclusively use Amsoil but I can’t make myself extend change intervals to justify the price.

Just because an oil has a "better" base stock does not always mean it will work better in your application.
For how long? People stay away from heavy additive packs because they tend to wear out in time, especially at higher temperatures.

For how long? People stay away from heavy additive packs because they tend to wear out in time, especially at higher temperatures.

They do?

So, the engineers that formulate those additive levels have no idea what they're doing, but "people" who buy oil know better?

If only we could buy "pure" oil...with no additives...then we would have the best, right? 🙄

Engineering is all about compromises. There not a single product that is perfect.

So... you are telling me that all oils are identically perfect?

I just stated that "some people stay away". I know some of those and I am one of them too.

I didn't say that "I know better" than engineers because I know in engineering there are always trade-offs. Some manufacturers might use a cheaper base, add a bit more of additives. Same company might also sell for more money a product derived from a more expensive base oil with less additives. Each product has trade-offs.
I think that I am allowed to have preferences of buying a certain product?

That's all.

...Some manufacturers might use a cheaper base, add a bit more of additives. Same company might also sell for more money a product derived from a more expensive base oil with less additives...

That is a common misconception about formulating or blending an oil.

I think that I am allowed to have preferences of buying a certain product?That's all.

Everyone can have preferences but when you make an engineering or scientific type statement it is good to have some innate knowledge of the subject.

Back