Is A Switch To M10W40 Problematic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been running Mobil 1 10w30 in my Ford Explorer V6 SOHC for years now. Thought I would switch to Mobil 1 0w40 for a variety of reasons.

Is this oil OK with an OHC engine and will the change from 800/900 Phosphorus/Zinc to 1000/1100 cause me any problems with the catalytic converter or elsewhere?

2002 Ford Explorer, 125000 miles, 4.0L SOHC

Thanks.

I could be wrong, but I don't think catalytic converters in 2002 cared as much about phosphorus and zinc as current ones do. I think you'll be fine on that front.

Mobil 1 0w-40 should handle your engine like a champ.

Just out of curiosity, why the switch?

I have a slight cam chain noise at 2200 rpm and wanted to see if a heavier oil would change that. I used a 5w40 in the past and it did change the noise. This noise is fairly common in this engine design it seems.

I have read other threads where M1 0w40 has made engines "seem" quieter so I thought I'd give it a try.

I only put 3000 to 4000 miles a year on this vehicle so I don't have to change the oil too often, usually every 6 months or so although I know I could probably let the oil stay in the crankcase all year.

Old habits die hard.

Thanks for your comments.

The Mobil 1 0W-40 should work great in your Explorer. That six month habit you have should be easy to break if all you're doing is 3-4K per year. Change your oil then enjoy life for 12 months.

I am a little worried that too much Zinc or Phosphorus might cause some catalytic converter problems.

Mobil doesn't think I'll have any problems....

Quote:

You should not have any issues with switching to Mobil1 0W40 motor oil in your vehicle.

-- Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.
If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at 1-800-ASK-MOBIL

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
I am a little worried that too much Zinc or Phosphorus might cause some catalytic converter problems.

What makes you feel that this is important? Did you fret this when zinc and phosphorus levels were just as high when you bought your Explorer? If not then, why now? How many catalytic converters have you personally seen fail? Don't count urban legends (aka: hearing "I once knew a guy who used pine oil and it destroyed his cat in 10,000 miles" type stuff).

I have also read the urban legend you refer to (plugged Cats, not so sure it is legend...weren't ZP levels adjusted at some point because of this?), so I come to BITOG to get the truth, or at least obtain the best knowledge available that I know of at any rate, so that I can make an informed decision.

Oldwolf,

The EPA mandated longer warranty periods on catalytic converters. The auto manufacturers convinced API to lower the phosphorus content to reduce their chances of having to pay for warranty replacements. Converters are no more sensitive to phosphorus than they used to be.

Ed

I’ve been running Mobil 1 10w30 in my Ford Explorer V6 SOHC for years now. Thought I would switch to Mobil 1 0w40 for a variety of reasons.

Is this oil OK with an OHC engine and will the change from 800/900 Phosphorus/Zinc to 1000/1100 cause me any problems with the catalytic converter...

Yes! You'll need to replace your Cat in 2022, not 2026.
(OTOH, the engine might wind up burning less of the slightly thicker oil. This would probably extend your converter's life.)

Quote:
... or elsewhere?

2002 Ford Explorer, 125000 miles, 4.0L SOHC

Thanks.

IMO, you won't have any other issues.
Freeway mileage may drop by a tenth of a MPG, but cold/city mileage will probably improve. (Also by a small margin.)

Give it a try, it can't hurt anything!

Just wanted to report that I have had M1 0w40 in the Explorer for four months now. We have taken a few trips in it and I must say I really can't tell any difference over any other oil I have used. So, that seems to be a good thing and I'll keep using it in this vehicle for a few years and see how things develop.

Were you worried in 2002? Were you worried in 1995? No reason to worry any more now that you did then.

The EPA just took a lesson from Binder & Binder. They put on a cowboy hat and said, "We're the government. You've got enough to worry about. Let us handle the issues of your cat's life.".

yep no issues with Zinc or Phosphorus and catalytic converters,how many cats did you hear about dieing back when API was SL.

use it with confidence

there's also M1 HM 10w40 SL built like a rock and would work great also if you want a slightly thicker oil.

9 months and 6500 miles on this first change using M1 0W40 and a M1 filter. I've had to add about half a quart to keep it on the full mark. I plan to change the oil, again with M1 0w40, sometime during Thanksgiving.

I'd probably keep it in until Christmas normally, but we are planning a 2000 mile round trip to Arkansas during that period and thought a fresh batch of oil is a good idea before we leave.

So far I have no complaints using M1 0W40. So, plan to keep using it. I've switched over my Cavalier to it (now my daughters car) and also have it in my lawnmower. Makes for one pull starts on cold days, pretty neat I think.

I'd like to use it in my MB diesel, MB recommends it, but it is pricy with 5000 mile OCI's and an 8 quart sump. I'd need to do UOA's but that's a lot of trouble to me. I know of other 300D owners that run it 7500 and 10,000 miles though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back