Is 5K on conventional a waste?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I have an abundance of PYB stored away...

Is the Pennzoil all SN grade?

Yes, SN.

5K is about par for the course for conventional.
You can always ride the cutting edge and squeeze every bit of TBN and antioxidant by sampling repeatedly to detect trends, but most people don't care for that. Now on the other hand, 3K miles/5k kilometers per quicky lube places and old school mechanics is just a waste by default.

My trucks are a '97 Chevy with the 4.3L V6, and a 2000 Silverado with the 5.3 Vortex V8. I have an abundance of PYB stored away, and the reason I use Napa Gold is because thats what is sold in my small town.

I chose 5K OCI because of the round numbers, and of course its still much better than the ridiculous 3K. Also, I think the V6 works a little hard to cruise at 75mph everyday, but maybe not.

I am not seeking to just be "cheap", but to find that optimal OCI point that balances protection and economy.

You're thinking along the right lines with the OCI.
Considering the high quality of dino oils theses days, it's not a stretch of the imagination to think you can go longer on the OCI TO 7.5k to move toward achieving that balance you're looking for.

However, you could actually optimize your situation by fitting a bypass filtration unit.
You may well be able to go 10- 15k on your OCI, and reduce wear to almost imperceptable levels.

Then take it another step forward and use a top quality synthetic oil.
When one factors in the minimal time spent on actually doing the oil changes, it's possible to be way ahead of your original starting point of 5k OCIs.

Cheers

Last edited:
I think 5K miles is a nice "safe" number. If you need to push your OCI longer then you should consult owner's manual or OLM or take your own UOA. For example, I believe Ford started recommending 7500 mile OCI under regular service duty one or two years ago on all Fusion models, and 5000 under severe service duty. They DO NOT require Motorcraft synthetic blend. Any oil that meets Fords specs is fine, and most conventional oils on the shelves do.

Last edited:
My trucks are a '97 Chevy with the 4.3L V6, and a 2000 Silverado with the 5.3 Vortex V8. I have an abundance of PYB stored away, and the reason I use Napa Gold is because thats what is sold in my small town.

I chose 5K OCI because of the round numbers, and of course its still much better than the ridiculous 3K. Also, I think the V6 works a little hard to cruise at 75mph everyday, but maybe not.

I am not seeking to just be "cheap", but to find that optimal OCI point that balances protection and economy.

Can you tell a difference in the truck at 5K?

Crown Victoria - 252,xxx miles

We run Havoline oil for 5000 miles or 6 months,whichever comes first.

Works for us
01.gif

Personally, I'd rather run a good quality synthetic for a few dollars more for 10K miles than PYB for 5K. Spend less time under the car and less money per mile on oil and filters.

Another alternative is Amsoil SSO 0W-30, change it yearly or up to 25K miles. You might come out even better that way, and you'd reduce environmental impact and costs. Amsoil is perfect for long duration highway driving.

Last edited:
I love syns too, but got a boatload of PYB and MC5000 nearly free..

Using up the stockpile of PYB prior to changing to Amsoil and extended OCIs is a good idea.
laugh.gif

With your driving style, at 5000 miles you won't have to worry, ever, about the oil holding up. If you'd like to go further with a clear conscience, then have a UOA done at your next change. I'd bet that 7500 is easily doable, and perhaps even 10k as suggested earlier. 5k a waste? Depends on your view. If you want max miles out of it, yes maybe some. If you want your engine protected while going beyond the traditional 3k, no.

It's hard to break out of the lower mileage OCIs but once you do and see some evidence to back up what you've read here on BITOG....
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
For someone going by time is more convenience and easier to remember. When I have dino in my LS400 I do 6 months or 6-8k miles, it happened that almost every 6 months the mileage was about 7-7.5k miles.

If your average yearly mileage is 11-13k miles then every 6 months will be a little easier to remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back