Is $30 fair for a tire patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a slow leak in one my tires. I called around and was quoted $30 to patch from the inside, re-mount and re-balance the tire. I prefer the patch repair over a chintzy plug.

Is this price reasonable?

not in my area...then again I didn't call.
most do patch/plug combo from the inside.
If you don't have a local indy you trust, I have always had good luck with PepBoys (flame suit on)

Walmart sells those little tire repair kits.

That (a plug) is literally what they use most of the time.

I worked my way through HVAC school at one of those old fashion gas stations,,,you know, the ones that are not around anymore, ok, I have patched many tubes, tires and so on....Lets see now, simple little tires , we used the rubber string and glue, push it through the tire , pull it back out , whala,,its done..

But, large mud tires and nails and junk rolling around in the tire after they run over something, not so easy,,,try it in the winter,,,tires don't spin off the rim easily, nor do they go on easy,,,if you have ever done this for extra income,,you understand,, not all goes well...we did all this at 5 bucks for cars and 10 for pickups and more for those large mud tires...18 wheeler tires ,,, you cant even imagine...

With today's fancy wheels and its easy to damage ,,,try a Corvette flat repair or tire change,,,yep 30 bucks is cheap,,,imho.

Last edited:
Some of the chain shops around here--Goodyear, for one--have started fixing flats for free. They replaced a valve stem for me that was leaking at the rim.

The catch is that if a puncture isn't in the center tread blocks, they'll say the tire can't be fixed and needs to be replaced instead.

The last patch-plug I paid for at a tire shop was about $28, probably five years ago.

I've plugged tires several times using "chintzy" plugs over the years. Go to a Discount Tire if your near one if you like free. Go to a Wal-Mart unless you have a set opinion. I will add that Wal-Mart is $10 and follows the RMA tire repair guidelines (no "chintzy" plugs) trying to avoid Tracy Morgan type lawsuits.

I'd say $15 is more on the norm.

I did pay $25 for this repair from a shop I don't normally use, but my normal shop didn't want to touch it and wanted to sell me a used tire instead.

This was a 12" long landscape spike with the survey marker cap somewhat still attached .... as it turned out the size of the "nail" was the same size as the plug/patch they used. (it was a patch from the inside, but it has a plug that goes in the hole)

so in the end I saved $25ish dollars

this pic was the one I sent my boss with the note "will be late to work this morning" had to change the tire in the parking lot of my kid's daycare before continuing on to work.

Last edited:
Yeah, places like Goodyear fix flats for free. I think you can even get the chain stores like BJs or Costco to fix it for you even if you didn't buy the tires there. I usually use Town Fair Tire, they fix it for free and they only charged me $4 to balance the tire. Sorta strange because if you just want them to balance your tire, they'll charge you $15, but if you have a flat, only $4. And yes, if the flat is in the outer 20% of the tire, they'll say they can't fix it, only if it's in the inner 60% of the tire. Had that happen to one tire. Then the hard sell starts and they start lying like crazy about what a good tire they have in stock, but the one that's not in stock isn't as good of course so they try to convince you to buy whatever they have even though it's no name junk.

$30 for an inside patch with balance is not crazy. They get $10 to change a tire on the rim, $10 to balance and $10 for the repair around here.

If they are smart they mark the tire and wheel to get the tire mounted back to where it was before they dismount so no need to rebalance.
Don't ever remember paying more than $15 for a tire patch repair.
I too spent a cold winter working with a tire recycler and learned how to properly repair tires. Young mans job if working in a MN winter.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Many tire chains do it for free around here.

Yep. Tire Kingdom does it for free, I always tip the tire tech $10

The $30 is because they are rebalancing it as well. Some will mark the tire rim as said but you take a chance of someone coming back if its off any. So many add in a balance in the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back