Is 1/3 concentration of coolant ok for Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just flushed out and installed new OEM/Kia no silicate coolant in my 2005 Kia Sedona van a couple of weeks ago...used with distilled water. I put a whole gallon of concentrated coolant in van and thought that'd get me little over 40% ratio, but I misjudged and my bulb coolant tester indicates I'm at just over 1/3 concentration ratio. Is that enough coolant for safe corrosion protection...I'm not worried about cold in central Florida. I'll buy another gallon if I really need to...guess I'm trying to avoid spending another $20 on another jug of Kia coolant. Is 33%+ concentration enough coolant in car's cooling system in Florida for adequate corrosion protection?

i would want it closer to 50% to be on the safe side.

it would be terrible to sell the car and it end up farther north in the future and freeze up. also if you have to ever take a trip up north one winter for any reason it would be better to have a 50/50 mix.

50/50 should perform better in the heat as well.

Originally Posted By: Oldasco
Is 33%+ concentration enough coolant in car's cooling system in Florida for adequate corrosion protection?

No, plus it is not enough concentration to provide adequate cooling in the Florida heat. Warp a head and sign on for a $3000 repair for $20.

In theory water cools better, but for regular auto systems, it may be problemmatic in hot areas.

Id probably want it up closer to 45% at minimum.

You can buy a bottle of inhibitor and water pump lube from zerex if you so choose to keep it as you have it for now. Shouldnt be a huge issue if everything else works well.

But Id probably want to get it right before too long...

I'm going to play it safe and get it up to 50/50 this weekend. I would have been comfortable with at least 40% coolant in system, but I'm closer to 33-35% now. My owners manual says coolant system has capacity of about 8.7 quarts, but I replaced radiator few months ago and it might be a little larger, plus I put about 1/3 quart of new coolant from gallon jug in reservoir tank so I guess I miscalculated thinking I'd be over 40% coolant in car. I'd rather be safe than sorry later...I'll put more coolant in the Sedona now. Thanks everyone for your input!

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: Oldasco
Is 33%+ concentration enough coolant in car's cooling system in Florida for adequate corrosion protection?

No, plus it is not enough concentration to provide adequate cooling in the Florida heat. Warp a head and sign on for a $3000 repair for $20.

No, coolant worsens heat shifting capacity, the specific heats of coolant mic, and the transfer rates drop with concentration, so 50% gives worse heat transfer than 33%.

If it was faithful old green, 33% was the standard mix in Australia down to our coldest usual temps (-10C or so), and was additised to that level...50% was a "luxury"

Trying to correct dilution is going to be a pain...

you've got, what 9qts estimated at the change (forgive me, qts is really foreign to me, haven't had milk in pints in 38 years), but at 35%, using 4 qts, you've got 11.4 qts in the system total...bigger radiator may explain that.

To boost what's there to 50%, you'll need to suck out about 2.85 quarts and replace it with coolant, and the gallon of drainate plus the left over coolant will make about 50:50 also....make it an even 3 quarts out, 3 new in, and a gallon of pre-mix for next time.

It shouldn't be too bad a of a job getting to 50/50. I can get to drain plug easily without jacking car. When I just drain radiator I get about 2/3 of a gallon of coolant in my drain pan...I'll just pour same amount of concentrated new coolant in and I should be close to where I want ratio. My owners manual actually states cooling system capacity is 8.2 liters, but I suspect the new radiator holds a little bit more coolant than old original radiator I replaced after its plastic case cracked.

What's hardest part of job is that the nearest place to buy coolant I'm using is 35 miles away...a friend is going to pick a gallon up for me when he passes the nearest Kia dealership on his way to work one day this week.

Shannow, your math looks about right, but it's a little too early in the morning for me to figure out right now. I've got a few days to figure how much I need to drain and put back in, I'll get my calculator out later and do some interpolating; got to factor in an estimate of how much I put in reserve tank out of new gallon last time too...probably about 1/3 of a quart out of the gallon...the balance all went in radiator.

Shannow's math was right on the money. Last week I drained out 3 qts. of the 35/65 mix from radiator, put in 3 qts. of 100% concentrated coolant and I'm right at 50/50 coolant mix now in system...piece of cake.

O/P, looks like your tester may be off. I just looked up the cooling system capacity and it is listed as 8.5 quarts, so you're actually quite close to 50%.

OP here. My owner manual says cooling sytem capacity is 8.2 liters which works out to about 8.7 quarts. I replaced my radiator a year ago...maybe it holds more than original factory radiator? The system holds more than 8.7 quarts. I used accurate testers. The car now has 50/50 ratio of new coolant...I'm done!

I woulnd't worry about it. may toss in a bottle of Water Wetter for added protection (or whatever you feel might work for aided water pump bearing @ seal protection). Otherwise, as one or 2 posters said - water is a better conductor of heat. Why somebody would think 'but for regular automotive systems'....I'm not sure what that even means. Water conducts heat better. Period. Use enough coolant to prevent rust & corrosion, and for water pump bearing protection, and don't worry about it. I try to stay at no more than a 60/40 water/antifreeze mix. Less antifreeze if it's a track car.

Water provides the best transfer of heat. That is, transfer of heat from the engine to the water, then transfer of heat out of the water through the radiator. Water cavitates, freezes and causes rust so you need coolant. Coolant has really really bad heat transfer properties through. So that's why you need water.

I have always used a 1/3 mix of coolant (Melbourne, Australia). I'd only use a 50/50 mix if I were in cold climates and required the lower freezing point.

It's counter intuitive, however a 1/3 mix will cool better in hot weather than a 50/50 mix.

However, I'm unfamiliar with Kia coolant. Do they recommend a 1/3 mix as well as a 50/50 mix?

The Kia brand antifreeze has printed on the bottle recommendation of 50/50 mix for year-round-protection. I dug out my owner's manual for 2005 Kia Sedona and it recommends a 35% coolant/65% water mix for ambient temp of 5 degrees Fahrenheit; 40/60 -13F; 50/50 -31F; 60/40 -49F. Didn't think to look at manual when I first replaced coolant. Florida hasn't gotten colder than 14 degrees Fahrenheit in the last 100 years...guess I would have been ok with 35% antifreeze minimum recommendation by Kia if I kept car in Florida year round!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back