Irving Gas Now Top Tier

Stopped in to fill my tank up last night at an Irving gas station. Sign hanging from the fuel pump hose stated that Irving gasoline is Top Tier fuel as well as stating the benefits of using Top Tier fuels. Must be something new, never saw this on them before.

Wasn't Irving fuel a subdivision of Sunoco? I remember seeing the Irving logo (using the same diamond shaped background) on the back of my Dad's Sunoco credit card.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Wasn't Irving fuel a subdivision of Sunoco? I remember seeing the Irving logo (using the same diamond shaped background) on the back of my Dad's Sunoco credit card.

More likely a credit card reciprocal agreement. To my (limited) knowledge Irving Oil has been a separate company since its inception. In the 1970's, I had a Shell gas credit card that also was taken at Conoco stations. I lived in an area where there were no Shell stations, so that reciprocal agreement worked out for me fairly well.

Dunno about top tier, but I recall reading a while ago that Irving had some of the highest quality fuel product in this hemisphere. I believe it was due to its ability to desulfurize.

I'm waiting to see Speedway and Race Trac make their fuels Top Tier, as I see those stations a lot in Florida (and it'll be nice to have more gas stations to choose from when I start driving down to Florida in the Corvette for the winters)

Irving is a family owned Canadian company based in St John, New Brunswick. It has a modern large refinery there, and sells petroleum products through eastern Canada and New England. The gas and diesel were good without a Top Tier affiliation. I think they resisted paying the licensing fee.

The only fuels sold around here not Top Tier are Gulf, Cumberland Farms, Speedway, and some minor brands such as Planet.

Back