Iridium vs Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

We just bought a new turbo Santa Fe - 2019.
It has OEM platinum plugs - - - Just wondering if I can swap out those for some iridiums. They last longer and require less energy to spark.

Just wondering tf there is a reason for the plats - - - We had a 09 Audi that had platinums as well. I swapped those out for iridiums for better performance.

Do most turbo's require platinum plugs?

Thanks

Leave it alone for a couple years. You dont mess with ignition if there is no obvious problem. Its very finicky and you can end up with performance issues like increase misfire counts and aftertreatment codes.

Are you sure it has platinum tips? most cars these days have IR with COP.

This is a 2.0L 4cyl turbo?

Last edited:
I am of the "opinion" to only replace spark plugs with OEM. Many people don't hold that view, however.

I believe ignition systems are designed with a particular type of plug in mind. Be it platinum, IR, etc.

Swapping them out already?
crazy2.gif

The factory plugs are good for at least 60k. Leave them in
smile.gif

Engine regardless is going to run a bit nasty during break in . Dont think its ignition. It should get better after 3K miles. Focus on getting good fuel in there.

That my challenge in my geographic zone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Swapping them out already?
crazy2.gif

The factory plugs are good for at least 60k. Leave them in
smile.gif

Yep , if it ain't broke , don't fix it ! :)

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Leave it alone for a couple years. You dont mess with ignition if there is no obvious problem. Its very finicky and you can end up with performance issues like increase misfire counts and aftertreatment codes.

100% TRUTH!!!

Do NOT mess with it "for fun" until you start getting misfire codes. Seriously.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I was also just wondering if platinums were chosen in this turbo engine for a specific reason.

If they require less energy to spark it is minuscule, the energy is required in the air gap which is the same if they are all gapped equally.

And what kind of better performance did you see? The reason for the platinum group metals is for longevity, not performance.

I noticed - better throttle response in our audi 2.0 turbo - at the time.

Which is the primary driver for me wanting to switch them out for iridiums - - - - I'm just wondering why Audi and Hyundai both had platinums from the factory.
A part of me thinks its to save $$$

Yeah, that's really not possible. if you thought better throttle response then that was only imagined. Even with good non-platinum group metal spark plugs the performance is going to be identical.The only thing that affects "performance" is the gap and platinum group metals resist erosion better than nickel (or whatever is used in standard plugs).

The automaker likely uses platinum because they are somewhat cheaper than iridium and the longevity is similar.

Originally Posted by nicholas
Hi Everyone,

It has OEM platinum plugs - - - Just wondering if I can swap out those for some iridiums. They last longer and require less energy to spark.

Just wondering tf there is a reason for the plats - - - We had a 09 Audi that had platinums as well. I swapped those out for iridiums for better performance.

Thanks

The spark plug makers did find decreased center electrode diameter requires less energy to spark and produced a "more concentrated" spark for a better start of the flame kernel.

The VW/Audi NGK PFR7S8EG equivalent, the common iridium substitute is the NGK BKR7E-IX, but they don't last as long as the factory double platinums (Laser Platinum), since the BKR7E-IX doesn't have a platinum wear disc on the ground electrode. I found after 20,000 miles performance is greatly affected. NGK doesn't make a Laser Iridium version for that application, granted the BKR7E-IX are half the price of the Laser Platinums.

I had to order from Europe, Denso Iridium Tough, for my next spark plug change, which has the platinum wear disc on the ground electrode.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
The spark plug makers did find decreased center electrode diameter requires less energy to spark and produced a "more concentrated" spark for a better start of the flame kernel.

It is about geometry. Iridium has a much higher melting point than platinum and as a result the electrode can be made smaller despite poorer overall heat conduction.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Yeah, that's really not possible. if you thought better throttle response then that was only imagined. Even with good non-platinum group metal spark plugs the performance is going to be identical.The only thing that affects "performance" is the gap and platinum group metals resist erosion better than nickel (or whatever is used in standard plugs).

The automaker likely uses platinum because they are somewhat cheaper than iridium and the longevity is similar.

Just telling you what I noticed.....when you drive a car everyday for hours you tend to notice these things.
It made a difference in throttle response the moment I took it for a drive after the plug swap. Nothing but plugs were changed.

Its platinum in the manual.

I came here to see if anyone knows why a platinum was used as an OEM plug......... Lots of conjecture and judgement but no real answer to my question...

Its platinum in the manual.

I came here to see if anyone knows why a platinum was used as an OEM plug......... Lots of conjecture and judgement but no real answer to my question...

I doubt anyone knows exactly why. Only Hyundai.

There is nothing wrong with platinum plugs.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks

1) Can you? Yes, but swapping out new platinum for iridium because it "last longer" now doesn't make sense. Why don't you wait till the miles are there (i.e. 60 or 90k).
2) Probably a "don't fix what's working" here on an older engine, the same reason why people don't switch everything to iridium with platinum disk on side electrode plugs, and people are still buying "copper" plugs. It cost a lot of R&D to certify emission and test something.
3) You can run anything that has the right firing voltage as long as you change them frequent enough. Most of the benefit is from the finer electrode size to make it easier to fire, or sharper new edges that has the same effect. For almost the same electrode diameter size, you won't see any improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back